A few Theme errors when updating my Joomla

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
brobertk
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

A few Theme errors when updating my Joomla

Post by brobertk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:46 pm

Hello,

I'm running Joomla 3.9.12.
Template: Ice_future - Version 1.0
PHP: 7.2.15

Joomla diagnostics:
  • Only variables should be assigned by reference in /hermes/walnaweb11a/b2629/as.timolsen/joomla1/modules/mod_icemegamenu/helper.php on line 272
  • Only variables should be assigned by reference in /hermes/walnaweb11a/b2629/as.timolsen/joomla1/modules/mod_icemegamenu/helper.php on line 109
  • Undefined variable: sitename in /hermes/walnaweb11a/b2629/as.timolsen/joomla1/templates/ice_future/error.php on line 25
  • The requested page can't be found: Error: 0 - Using $this when not in object context
When I switch to Joomla default templates then the site loads.
Any fix suggestions would be greatly appreciated as my site is currently down.

Thanks!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: A few Theme errors when updating my Joomla

Post by sozzled » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:01 pm

IT_Future (from IceThemes) was released in November 2012. The template is not compatible with PHP 7.; the error messages confirm it. Do not use this template.

It is simpler, and cheaper, to install a template that is compatible with PHP 7.x.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

brobertk
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by brobertk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:42 pm

I was hoping to keep this template because I like it. Maybe there is a fix I can implement in the template code?

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:29 pm

The "fix" (as you describe it) is to isolate each of the error messages, one by one, and rewrite the PHP code. Alternatively, you could write to the author of the template and ask if there's a later version available. As I said, it's simpler, and cheaper, to replace the template with more up-to-date one that's compatible with PHP 7.x. There are better templates around; you just have to find one that you like.

In the meantime, it's your choice and it's your business. The longer you take to find a "fix", the longer it will take before you get your business running again. Good luck.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

diaz365
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by diaz365 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:20 pm

find a clean index.php file with the right header code. the one in the "system" folder "index.php" .

also the templateDetails.xml copy the code you will also have adept
you will need to transfer the CSS and rewrite the index.php and the templateDetails.xml.

image paths and CSS etc.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”