Working on .htaccess file

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x security issues.

Moderators: Bernard T, mandville, fcoulter, PhilD, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant / FPA - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ying789
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Working on .htaccess file

Post by ying789 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:32 am

I am studying the "Joomla Security Check". Unfortunately, there are many things beyond my knowledge. I tried hard to figure things out. Now I am working on the htaccess.txt file. After studying the Documentation, I guess the step is:

1. Go to your host(I use SiteGround)→C panel→File Manager→find a file name called htaccess.txt
2. Rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess
3. Move .htaccess to root directory.

But After I rename it, the file disappeared in my directory. If I search it, it will show. But it shows like below:
螢幕快照 2019-08-14 下午1.30.16.png
The Documentation said I should move it to the root directory after rename it. But I just can't see .htaccess in my root directory. How do I know I did it right?

By the way, do I have to change anything inside the .htaccess file?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ying789
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Working on .htaccess file

Post by ying789 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:42 am

Oops, after rename the htaccess.txt to .htaccess, I can't log on my site as a administrator.
The message is as below:
螢幕快照 2019-08-14 下午1.41.10.png
Please help me... :eek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:03 pm

Set your File Manager to show Hidden Files.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by AMurray » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:26 am

As already stated, show the hidden files and you can edit the .htaccess in any text editor, or rename the file back to htaccess.txt and see if that action was truly the issue causing the error. Note the file is .htaccess (with a full stop in front of the word "htaccess").

It's a hidden file, and since this is outside of Joomla, I would suggest asking your host support for assistance.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by AMurray » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:29 am

Actually you leave the .htaccess file inside the folder that Joomla's installed in, that might be the root directory (i.e. public_html etc) or it might be a sub folder.

There can be more than one .htaccess file (in other folders) within your home directory of your hosting. Make sure you're working with the correct one - it should be in the main folder that holds all the joomla system files - you don't need to move it anywhere.

If worse comes to worse, delete the one that's there, then copy the htaccess.txt from the installation package back to he Joomla folder, and try the process again.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Return to “Security in Joomla! 3.x”