Need to update Joomla (actual site is virus infected)

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x security issues.

Moderators: Bernard T, mandville, fcoulter, PhilD, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant / FPA - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
vrans99
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Need to update Joomla (actual site is virus infected)

Post by vrans99 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:37 am

My site is infected by some viruses. I need to reinstall everything. I don't know which of the backups has infected files so I don't want to waste time trying few different backups. Actually on Joomla 3.6.2.
I would like to have a fresh installation of a newer version of Joomla (ex v.3.7.3), but I don't want to recreate all the menus and content.
My hosting company has blocked some ports because of this issue, so I can't upgrade Joomla automatically. I don't want to reactivate the ports anyway until all the files are clean.
How can I have a clean installation of Joomla without recreating all the content?
Can I upload the full version of Joomla and run it on top of the infected joomla?
How can I backup just the content (articles, images, menus, template, etc) to be restored on a fresh installation of Joomla?
Any better suggestion?
Last edited by toivo on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved to 3.x Security

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Need to update Joomla (actual site is virus infected)

Post by ribo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:04 am

Please check viewtopic.php?f=714&t=946026 . This is how to recover your joomla site from a hack(please read everything, and the full instructions too)
chat room spontes : http://www.spontes.com

vrans99
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Need to update Joomla (actual site is virus infected)

Post by vrans99 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks

Return to “Security in Joomla! 3.x”