A question about securing website Topic is solved

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x security issues.

Moderators: Bernard T, mandville, PhilD, fcoulter, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant / FPA - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
SkyboundPhotos
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

A question about securing website

Post by SkyboundPhotos » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:05 pm

Is there any advantage to using recaptcha or 2 factor authorization when I am the lone administrator/user on my joomla website? I will not have any sensitive info per se, other than my login info of course.

Should I even bother with either of these 2 login items at all? I already have a SSL certificate installed as well and was wondering if there are any other steps I could take to make my website as secure as possible.

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: A question about securing website

Post by abernyte » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:23 pm

Arguably, in the circumstances that you outline the additional benefit is slight, tangible but slight. I would argue. in your case, that changing the default url of the admin area of your site with Admin Exile or Admin Tools extensions from the JED might accomplish an increase in your site security equal or greater to that of 2FA.
Security as a forma mentis, so Joomla up to date, third party extensions up to date, good quality web host, good backup and restore regime, change the default admin URL and 2FA and that is as good as it gets.
Could you live and be secure without 2FA or recaptcha? Yes.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. Twain

SkyboundPhotos
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SkyboundPhotos » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:59 pm

abernyte wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:23 pm
Arguably, in the circumstances that you outline the additional benefit is slight, tangible but slight. I would argue. in your case, that changing the default url of the admin area of your site with Admin Exile or Admin Tools extensions from the JED might accomplish an increase in your site security equal or greater to that of 2FA.
Security as a forma mentis, so Joomla up to date, third party extensions up to date, good quality web host, good backup and restore regime, change the default admin URL and 2FA and that is as good as it gets.
Could you live and be secure without 2FA or recaptcha? Yes.
Ah...just the usual common sense stuff :)

I already downloaded the admin tools extension, just need to load it into my joomla site and configure it :)

Does the Admin exile extension work in conjunction with the admin tools extension or am I better off using one or the other?

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Admin Tools does a whole lot more. Admin Exile does few things well. One or other.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. Twain

SkyboundPhotos
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SkyboundPhotos » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:34 pm

abernyte wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:06 pm
Admin Tools does a whole lot more. Admin Exile does few things well. One or other.
I will install Admin tools then.

Thanks for the help :)

Return to “Security in Joomla! 3.x”