Help with missing buttons please

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x security issues.

Moderators: Bernard T, mandville, fcoulter, PhilD, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant / FPA - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
DomT454
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Help with missing buttons please

Post by DomT454 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:56 am

Hi All

apologies, but I'm new to Joomla. my web developer/admin left the company and didn't leave any documentation on our joomla site, so I am trying to figure out how it hanges together. I've managed to restore it after it was hacked and I have upgarded it from the lowly version of Joomla to version 3.6.5 and PHP 7 in a bid to beef up security, however I have lost the buttons that were on the pages. Where there were buttons, I now have:

[icebutton link="http://www.webaddress.ecom/page.html" type="btn-warning"]Read more[/icebutton].

The links work but there is no button, just the text. I can't figure out where the graphical button is and how to display it in Joomla.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dom
Last edited by toivo on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved to 3.x Security

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Help with missing buttons please

Post by effrit » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi.
This text is plugin syntax, so go to the Extensions-Plugin and look for disabled or plugins with name like "Ice..." and update it.

JAVesey
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by JAVesey » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:37 pm

effrit wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:33 pm
Hi.
This text is plugin syntax, so go to the Extensions-Plugin and look for disabled or plugins with name like "Ice..." and update it.
Good call. Check for "ice responsive menu" or something worded like that; I used to use it but its no longer in development/available.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.1

DomT454
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by DomT454 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the pointers. Something weird happened. They appeared, then I read your replies here and then they disappeared. I went into Extensions - Plugins and I found two ice related things. One is IceShrtCodes which I can open and IceMegaMenu Plugin. They are both enabled. how can I update them. I think that this used a theme from icetheme.com. Is that where I should go for the updates?

Thanks for your help so far.
Dom

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:15 pm

DomT454 wrote:One is IceShrtCodes which I can open and IceMegaMenu Plugin. They are both enabled. how can I update them.
You cannot, unless the developer fixes them or you engage your own Joomla and PHP expert to modify those extensions and make them compatible with PHP 7.

The last updates to Joomla extensions from icetheme.com were released in early 2014, which makes them outdated. They may still work in PHP 5.6, which was released later the same year, but you may as well forget about using them in PHP 7.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
my first programs were assembled and run in 16KB :)
troubleshooting smtp and other articles https://talikka.com/joomla

JAVesey
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by JAVesey » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:06 pm

toivo wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:15 pm
The last updates to Joomla extensions from icetheme.com were released in early 2014, which makes them outdated. They may still work in PHP 5.6, which was released later the same year, but you may as well forget about using them in PHP 7.
I stopped using IceMegaMenu once it stopped being updated and ceased to be available from the developer's website. Shame as it was a very nice extension.

My advice matches Toivo's; disable the plugins, uninstall them, delete the code in your pages and look for an alternative solution in JED.

Oh, and this is not a "security" issue; respectfully ask that the Mods consider either locking this thread or moving it to "Extensions" 8)
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Uses Joomla 3.9.1

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:30 pm

If it is mentioned that the site has been hacked some time earlier, moderators usually move the topic to 3.x Security, to make sure that best practice is followed.

Simply restoring a hacked site may get rid of the hack but not the actual vulnerability because it could be anywhere, from an out-of-date extension reported in VEL at https://vel.joomla.org to some anomaly in the configuration of the server or the folder permissions.

It would therefore be good if you could run the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) by following the instructions from viewtopic.php?f=714&t=793531 and post the results here so that others can review the configuration.

Please note that a number of Joomla versions with critical security updates have been released after December 2016, when your version 3.6.5 was announced. Therefore it is important to keep the site update.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator
my first programs were assembled and run in 16KB :)
troubleshooting smtp and other articles https://talikka.com/joomla

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:54 pm

For a hacked site please see viewtopic.php?f=714&t=946026
For reconstructing the site after a hack please see viewtopic.php?f=710&t=956702
If you are unable to do that then please post a request in viewforum.php?f=177
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

Return to “Security in Joomla! 3.x”