JCE 2.6.9, Joomla 3.6.5 - editor window not displaying according to CSS rules

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
davidascher
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

JCE 2.6.9, Joomla 3.6.5 - editor window not displaying according to CSS rules

Postby davidascher » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:07 pm

I found that in earlier versions of the JCE Editor, it appeared that the javascript code made a crude attempt to display the WYSIWYG content based on searching the CSS file(s) for the element class name converted lowercase, and then applying the FIRST set of rules found to the element. This was not quite right for two reasons -

1) the match on class name should have been case sensitive. a class named "Abc" should NOT have been treated the same as a class named "abc" or "ABC" or "aBC", etc. This was probably done in response to Chrome's decision to convert all an element's class names to lowercase prior to applying CSS rules... and apparently, in XHTML, class names are supposed to be lowercase.

2) The "C" in CSS stands for "Cascading" - meaning that the script should have continued through the CSS files and applied any additional format rules it found, rather than stopping at the first rule it found with a "matching" selector.

In the latest version of the JCE Editor, the behavior has changed - maybe it changed a while ago, but I have been a bit behind in keeping up with the latest JCE Editor release. NOW, the editor script no longer treats the element class names as lowercase when searching for a matching selector in the CSS files. It therefor, does not see any CSS selector matching the class of an element with a class named "Abc" and does no formatting at all. Error #2 above, however, does appear to have been fixed. It now applies any formatting that should apply to the selected element correctly.

Can anybody suggest a relatively simple way for class names to get converted to lowercase either in the editor (some kind of plugin?) or for the previous behavior (of treating all class names as lowercase) to be restored?
Last edited by imanickam on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x to the forum Extensions for Joomla! 3.x

davidascher
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: JCE 2.6.9, Joomla 3.6.5 - editor window not displaying according to CSS rules

Postby davidascher » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:26 pm

I realize that I omitted an important detail in my original post. The content on the site is developed in MS WORD. Up until now, that content could be copied from WORD and pasted into the JCE editor window - all the WORD STYLE names get assigned as CSS CLASS names within the editor. This was very convenient, as WORD, for all its faults, is much easier to use than the JCE Editor and there is no need to train the contributors to the website on using JCE Editor. In our configuration, any additions to a WORD Style (like in a paragraph which is style "ABCD" but uses a different font, or font color, for example) are ignored... and the actual WORD Style definition, is irrelevant. Once the content is on the site, its appearance is controlled by the CSS classes of the elements. This makes is much easier to impose control over the appearance of the content of articles written in WORD by different people without having to train (or discipline) them.

At some point, the JCE Editor was changed so it would no longer accept native word styles (like "normal", which the JCE editor converted to "msonormal" class)... and there were differences between how the JCE editor behaved when content was pasted into the JCE Editor running on different browsers.

However, one can still use drag & drop to copy content from WORD to the JCE Editor even with the newest version - 2.6.9. My original post was in the context performing the pasting or dropping of content into the JCE Editor from a WORD document - something that, I guess, very few people do.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: JCE 2.6.9, Joomla 3.6.5 - editor window not displaying according to CSS rules

Postby leolam » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:18 am

You should post these issues at the JCE forums since it has nothing to do with Joomla me believe? Note though https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/sup ... ord-button

Leo 8)
Celebrating 12-Years of Professional Joomla Support Services
- Joomla Professional Support:https://gws-desk.com -
- Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions:https://gws-host.com -
- Member Joomla Bug Squad & J-CMS Release Team

davidascher
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby davidascher » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:10 am

You can only post on the JCE forums if you have bought a license from the JCE folks. Since I am using the version bundled into Joomla, I don't have such a license and cannot post on their forum.

sozzled
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Postby sozzled » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:15 am

Is there some hurdle preventing you from purchasing a licence so that you can post your question(s) on the JCE forum? Standard Joomla installations do not have JCE Editor "bundled"; you must be using something non-standard. Anyway, your version of Joomla and JCE Editor are both out of date and not supported.

Recommend you update these things first. ;)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

davidascher
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Postby davidascher » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:01 pm

of course, you are correct that JCE is not bundled into Joomla. It is a free extension that I would expect virtually everybody to use as it is so much better than the alternatives. My bad.

I am now testing on a site that has been upgraded to Joomla 3.7.5 and JCE Editor 2.6.19 - the latest versions available. NOW the damned editor is stripping out ALL element classes when I paste from MS WORD. The editor's old behavior ( that I depended upon up until v2.6.9 - which only came out in March of this year) was to preserve what WORD calls 'styles' as HTML classes but remove all "mso" (native MS Word classes). Examining the code for the jce editor I found that the editor parameter that is supposed to indicate whether or not the editor should remove ALL classes when pasting is not being referenced at all in the plugin code - since JCE Editor v2.6.10.

There are two 'hurdles' preventing me from buying a license and posting about this issue on the JCE forum - 25Euros to report to them that they introduced a bug in their software AND the fact that I am using the Joomla extension and not the standalone JCE Editor product.

For a critical part of Joomla like the JCE Editor (it is critical to me and I am sure many many others), it seems like this is the place to post about this kind of problem.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”