Track individual users viewing video

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jfcayron
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Track individual users viewing video

Post by jfcayron » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:26 pm

We are a small group (<100) volunteers.
Each month we attend a mandatory training class on different topics. The class is recorded.
People who miss it can make it up by watching the video of the class.
I need to be able to track each user who does watch the video in order to give them credit.
A bonus would be to make sure they watch it entirely (less critical).

I have searched and searched but could not find anything that would fit the bill.

Any suggestions?

KianWilliam
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Track individual users viewing video

Post by KianWilliam » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:12 am

You have to track time in an event listener as soon as the button to start video is clicked and assign it to a session variable or a file or a database table, then when the user clicks stop button or logs out or any other events, again a new event listener should be triggered to read time. One problem is the user clicks the video and leaves the computer without stopping the video, you will imagine he watched the film, better to arrange tests in regard with that session to be sent so that you would be able to learn if they really watched the film.
Kian William

jfcayron
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jfcayron » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks for your insight. As I mentioned, the validation of the time spent/viewing entirely is secondary.
In the current system we have, I did implement the test you suggested, but for political reasons we had to remove it.

I was hoping there were an extension that would do something along those lines. The only things I could find that are remotely comparable are LMS (Learning Management Systems) but they did not come close enough in addition to being too expensive.

So you are saying I should write my own extension(s) to handle that, correct? That's going to be a bit of a challenge.

Thanks again for your response.

KianWilliam
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by KianWilliam » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:58 am

If you remove the tests for political reasons, then the topics will be political too. Believe you me best way to track your viewers of video is testing them via a form, design your questions in non-political way, damn politics, then you do not need an extension at all, the result of those tests prove who really watches the movie.
Also designing that extension is not a hard labor task.
Kian William

jfcayron
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jfcayron » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:57 pm

Sorry for the misunderstanding. By "political" I meant the volunteers did not like the apparent lack of trust. So to keep them happy, we had to remove the tests.
This is why we would like to have an automated system: you watch it, you get credit. No forms to fill, no tests etc.

I will look at writing an extension. I am new at Joomla!, that's why I said it would be a challenge.

KianWilliam
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by KianWilliam » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:41 am

2 sites and one extension component are under my hand now, if time is not crucial for you, I may develop it for you but when it will be finished I have no idea and we are not going to charge you for that.
Kian William

jfcayron
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jfcayron » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Thank you very much for the offer.
I will try and get something going, and I will come back for help if I get lost.

KianWilliam
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by KianWilliam » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:42 am

That is good, always rely on your mind and trust your talent
Kian William

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”