OSMap Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
CDXXonline
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

OSMap

Post by CDXXonline » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:22 pm

I'm using this OSMap to make site maps for search engines, since I don't have a traditional main menu it seemed the articles wouldn't show up on searches, just the tag lists would show up. I have a couple of questions I can't seem to find the answers for.

Does OSMap automatically reindex or add new articles?

I have it set for weekly on the menu items, does this mean it will update the map weekly?

Do you have to submit this to search engines?

Will they automatically detect the sitemap xml without submission?

If it is detected or submitted what happens when you add new articles, do you have to keep resubmitting it or waiting on the search engines to crawl the new ones? This is kind of related to the updating question above.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: OSMap

Post by sozzled » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:25 pm

The answers to all of your questions in (1) are yes.

The answers to all of your questions in (2) are yes.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
I need your help to help reduce spam at the Joomla forum. You can help with your ideas, questions and opinions at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=974006. Together we can make a difference :)

CDXXonline
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CDXXonline » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:33 pm

Do you have to submit this to search engines?

Will they automatically detect the sitemap xml without submission?
How can the answer to both of these be yes? If they detect it without submission I don't want to go through all the account making to do something it will eventually do automatically anyway.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:59 pm

Yes, you have to submit the OSmap "link" to the search engine. The XML link created by OSMap looks like

Code: Select all

/component/osmap/?view=xml&id=1
(the "id" may be different for you). That's what you need to submit to the search engine as your sitemap.

So, no, I guess the answer to both questions not "yes", but after you have submitted the link once then the search engines will automatically use that information to re-index your site.

It's all explained on the author's website: https://www.joomlashack.com/blog/tutori ... to-google/ 8)
I need your help to help reduce spam at the Joomla forum. You can help with your ideas, questions and opinions at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=974006. Together we can make a difference :)

CDXXonline
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CDXXonline » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:13 am

Thanks. Was hoping I wouldn't have to create a bunch of accounts.

john-doe
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by john-doe » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:02 pm

CDXXonline wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:13 am
Thanks. Was hoping I wouldn't have to create a bunch of accounts.
How so? Why create multiple accounts?
www.aldemar-hernandez.com - Custom templates and design services.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:20 pm

Exactly! No-one needs to create multiple Google Search Console accounts but, because people may want to monitor the site traffic for each/all of their websites, they will need to add multiple sites to their Google webmaster tools account. In any event, the tutorial at Joomlashack (that I mentioned before) clearly explains how to use OSMap to submit the sitemap(s) for your website(s) to Google.

john-doe
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by john-doe » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:25 pm

sozzled wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:20 pm
Exactly! No-one needs to create multiple Google Search Console accounts but, because people may want to monitor the site traffic for each/all of their websites, they will need to add multiple sites to their Google webmaster tools account. In any event, the tutorial at Joomlashack (that I mentioned before) clearly explains how to use OSMap to submit the sitemap(s) for your website(s) to Google.
Seems right. Actually i do keep separate accounts for each website, most likely when the client asks for the analytics account when he/she wants to get control of it.
www.aldemar-hernandez.com - Custom templates and design services.

CDXXonline
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CDXXonline » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 pm

An account for each search engine, i was thinking there were more for some reason. Only made 2, bing and google, duckduckgo takes their stuff from those 2 i guess. In any case it's just extra accounts to keep track of that i never wanted to begin with, i have enough already. Google's getting a bit out of control i don't even like using their search anymore much less making an account there. Just didn't know if the xml file was put in a place that the search engines could find as soon as the connected to your site, then no account needed, like creating it was just a way to get them injected asap instead of whenever.

It never said 'you must do this' on the joomla site, which is why i asked.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:27 pm

Well, yeah, you need to create an "webmasters' tools" account thing-a-ma-jig/whatchamacallit for each search engine. And, yeah, Google's Search Console thingie has changed (and keeps changing) and that's just the way things happen, right? And, yeah, some search engines (e.g. Yahoo!) use other search engines (e.g. Bing) and that's why there aren't mechanisms to submit sitemaps to those search engines. And while it would be nice to just plonk a website on the internet and hope that the website will be discovered and automatically indexed without having to do more than create one file "somewhere", that's just wishful thinking.

Search engines don't work that way. But, if people still believe that all they need to do is create an XML file somewhere and expect that every search engine under the sun would discover it and index their websites for them, there wouldn't be any need for SEO "consultants", would there?

Not every search engine works the same way. Some highly-disreputable search 'bots scrape websites in extremely invasive ways, sucking the life-blood out of your website. There are good search engines and there are some real rotters!

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”