Slideshow Wanted Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
AndyInSpain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Slideshow Wanted

Post by AndyInSpain » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi everybody.

Who would be kind enough to help me with this?

I have a requirement for an image slideshow (Joomla 3.x). The JED lists over 400 slideshow extensions, and I simply do not have the time to wander through all those to find a slideshow which meets my requirement. So I was wondering if anybody knew of an extension that fits the bill!

The requirement is quite simple. The slideshow module:

1. Needs to get its images from a folder running under Localhost.

2. Must be able to handle in excess of 1,000 images in that folder

3. Must have the capability to display the filename of each image (minus the extension) on the screen as the title or description of the slide. For example, I would like, for a slide with the image source of MyImage.jpg to display "MyImage" on the screen (the position relative to the image, for example above or below, is not important as long as it's there).

4. Nice to have: the slideshow starts automatically. A random image selection feature would be nice too. Also, a free extension would be great, but I'll consider paid ones too.

That's it really. I'm not bothered about transition types or anything fancy.

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Andy.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Slideshow Wanted

Post by waarnemer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:41 am

Tons of slideshow/caroussel modules in the extensions directory..
https://extensions.joomla.org/category/photos-a-images/

...but why 1000 images? I will never be that long on your page to see them all...

AndyInSpain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AndyInSpain » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:55 pm

As I said, I simply have not got the time nor the inclination to wade through 400 slideshow extensions trying to find one which has the features I need.

The website is a local one running under a local web server. I have huge amounts of scientific data to manage with it, hence the 1000+ plus images (out of a total of nearly 4,000).

Thanks for your reply!

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Well you have to wade yourself as we cannot decide on the one you like... sorry for that.

Point is that the usual caroussel or slideshow is reading the list of images in a folder.
It then creates an array (or worse creates an HTML list) of all these images (files) to be shown by the caroussel or slideshow...
It will take some heavy burden on your setup... Joomla as a CMS for creating awesome websites is not exactly a good gallery tool....

If it is for local purposes only, and you need to manage data instead of having a website, you may want to look at web based file sharing app like Nextcloud.

When I was working all images we have in our sailing team (and no we do not publish them all) we discovered having to manage and share these with the members was no task for Joomla.

We now use Nextcloud to manage our foto's (and other documents by the way) by creating one specific folder for the Joomla we can drop the ones we want to publish there.
Nextcloud has a built in foto viewer. When setup correctly it also creates alternate views (different sizes) for fast viewing without tempering with the original file.

We have 15000+ photos collected over the last 5 years of events.......

AndyInSpain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AndyInSpain » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:14 pm

That's very interesting! Thank you so much for that. I do need a website to display all the images so it's not just for data management. I shall investigate your suggestion and I'm very grateful to you. Thank you. Best wishes.

AndyInSpain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AndyInSpain » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:22 pm

Problem solved! I found an extension which fits the bill. It's a Joomla plugin called ppGallery and it enables you to create a gallery inside a Joomla article (K2 articles too) OR just a single image. The source of the images is a folder under /images and it reads subfolders too. It also can display the filename or the meta "Description" tag with the image, allows you to run a slideshow and has a nice lightbox effect also. A great extension in my opinion. It's free too!

So thanks anyway for your help, waarnemer!!

venci
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by venci » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi,
It is good to find in JED a suitable extension, at this for free.
You can thank the developer by leaving your review. It's a little satisfaction for his work.

AndyInSpain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AndyInSpain » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:32 pm

I will!

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”