What standalone WYSWYG editors are available for Joomla?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
PF4Joomla
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

What standalone WYSWYG editors are available for Joomla?

Post by PF4Joomla » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:49 pm

Hi guys

I would like to use a standalone WYSWYG article editor with Joomla
I currently use LiveWriter but I would need something that stores the articles in the native HTML format
I have no idea how to read or decrypt the .wpost files that LiveWriter creates and I need to be able to see the differences between two versions of the same article.
I am thinking about creating HTML files with some WYSWYG editor and then post them like LiveWriter does

What are my options (if there are any)?
Last edited by toivo on Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x General Questions

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: What standalone WYSWYG editors are available for Joomla?

Post by AMurray » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:16 am

I can only offer what others will likely advise as well; it would be easier to simply create your joomla site content in Joomla, and there's plenty of editors (extensions) for Joomla: https://extensions.joomla.org/tags/editors/.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:36 am

@AMurray: the OP wants a tool that is not currently integrated into J!. In other words, they're looking for a product that is s-t-a-n-d-a-l-o-n-e from J! but, somehow (mystically and magically) can generate output that can be seamlessly (?guessing) uploaded as new J! articles.

I have no idea whether there are non-J! WYSIWYG editors, that create content suitable for use as J! articles, that exist outside the world of the J! website, that will do this kind of job. And, to be quite candid, it would be a jolly waste of my time using something like that. But, it's not my call, it's not my website, and it's not my business. That's why I left this discussion topic alone.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 am

Yes, I know the OP is after a similar editor to LiveWriter (or getting it to work with Joomla) but with no explanation as to why he needed to edit his Joomla site that way.

A decade ago it was apparently possible to use LiveWriter itself with Joomla, according to the blog post here: https://www.dionysopoulos.me/using-wind ... a-content/ with the aid of a XML-RPC plugin; I have seen one on the JED, but it was a few years out of date.

Whether it can be done reliably these days, I don't know. I can't find any other editor of the LiveWriter variety that would work with Joomla
Regards,
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 am

The xmlrpc plugin (and the /xmlrpc folder that it was associated with), that was included with J! 1.5, was dropped with the release of J! 2.5. This was one of the reasons that J! 1.5 was (and is still) insecure and prone to hacking. This is also one of the problems associated with Wordpress that, AFAIK, continues to support xmlrpc.

Therefore, to put it bluntly, allowing someone to be able to use a standalone application that can automatically upload new website to several websites simultaneously, or edit the existing content on those websites, is [IMO] an invitation to cyber-terrorists to invade and takeover your website. In other words, I wouldn't use a standalone application—in particular, one that generated second-rate web content—anywhere within cooee of my websites. Others can do as they wish.

You want to edit your J! articles? Use the tools built into your website.

The question—what standalone [non-Joomla] "extensions" exist for J! 3.x?—does not readily sit with this forum's purposes but the question is an interesting one, nonetheless, and I think we've answered it.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

PF4Joomla
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by PF4Joomla » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:59 am

I am using LiveWriter as we speak
I am behind a firewall within the same network with the server
It is not possible to post from outside .. so no security concerns there
There is a thread that I started where I am explaining why I need this
The XMLRPC plugin is still working on the newest Joomla plugin
The condescending tone should be dropped

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:15 pm

There is no xmlrpc plugin as part of the J! 3.x CMS core package; that was my point. The third party-written variant—Blogging XMLRPC for Joomla—was not something I was aware of. However, given its age and the lack of recent reviews, it's not something I would consider viable in today's security-conscious world. Does it work with PHP 7.3, for example?

Nick Dionsysoplous, writing 10 years ago when J! 1.5 was at its height, is probably cringing today at the thought that @AMurray dug his article out of the vault!

However, the third party extension is only a means to an end. I don't know of any product that sits outside Joomla that perform the WYSIWYG editing/posting function; I can't say more than that.

Good luck to anyone who can solve the OP's question/problem. 8)

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:33 am

@sozzled, - agreed but that link from Nick Dionsysopolous was the on the #1 page of results from Google, searching on "use LiveWriter with Joomla". ;)

Anyway there's clearly no present-day satisfactory solution, none that I've found anyway.
Regards,
A Murray

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”