Connecting to Filemaker Pro DB Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.
gsmela
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Connecting to Filemaker Pro DB

Post by gsmela » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:16 pm

Does anyone have any experience with, or recommendations for, an extension that allows a direct connection to a live Filemaker Pro database through Joomla?

i have a client that would like a directory based on the FM database and, while it can be exported as a CSV it would involve some manipulation. We're looking for something that would be as "hands off" as possible.

Thank you!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Connecting to Filemaker Pro DB

Post by sozzled » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:06 pm

I'll try to save you some time. If your client really requires the ongoing use of FileMaker Pro and cannot use one of the other relational database products that J! was designed to work with (e.g. MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL) and if your client is not prepared to shell-out the big bucks to pay for a web developer/database expert to write a database handler to interoperate between FileMaker Pro and J!, then I would advise your client to seek an alternative solution and not use Joomla!

That will save your time and your client's time.

I guess it would be possible to build a non-Joomla website that took care of the FileMaker Pro stuff and link that website to a Joomla website. They would effectively operate independently of one another. I strongly doubt that it's possible to "natively integrate" FileMaker Pro into Joomla.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

gsmela
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by gsmela » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:13 pm

Thanks Sozzled. There is a Filemaker API which looks like too much trouble to deal with. The client's Filemaker hosting service does have the ability to export static snapshots of the database as CSV which will likely be fine. (I'd read of ODBC connectors that allegedly work but again, the whole exercise seems like using a chainsaw to cut butter.) Much less expensive and less work all around.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:22 pm

It's possible to write something to extract data from a database. I've used ODBC many years ago to extract/manipulate data from a variety of different data sources. If you know what you're doing, it's possible. I just haven't tried to write something in PHP (e.g. as a module for J!) to do something similar. I guess it would be possible if you knew the specific data connection calling structure and, assuming that FileMaker Pro uses fairly typical SQL query statements, yeah, you could write something. Would I want to do it? Sure ... pay be lots of money and I'll do just about anything!!! :laugh:

But, being serious ... is it worth it? It doesn't matter what opinions we have, it's inevitably up to "the client" to make that decision. If it were me, I'd redesign the workflow.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

gsmela
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by gsmela » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:29 pm

A five minute phone call and the workflow has changed. Sometimes simple is best. (I'm almost embarrassed to reveal this is for a DB with only a few hundred records.)

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:32 pm

Pleased to hear it, @gsmela.

Joomla is good for some things but it's not a cure-all for everything. :)
Last edited by toivo on Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: removed unnecessary comment

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”