Protostar template affecting PPC Simple Spotlight extension so image rotator not reducing to fit phone screen Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.
Kitzula
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Protostar template affecting PPC Simple Spotlight extension so image rotator not reducing to fit phone screen

Post by Kitzula » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:55 pm

I recently switched from the Beez2 template to the Protostar template. I have used Pixel Point Creative's Simple Spotlight image rotator extension successfully for years with Beez2. But with the Protostar template, the Simple Spotlight image rotator is not reducing to fit the phone screen.

If I switch back to Beez2, the Simple Spotlight image rotator displays fine.
You can see this in action on the Home page of my website which has multiple image rotators (one is in the top article). https://www.ForMotherNature.com has the template set to Protostar and the image rotator is huge going off the right side of the phone screen
and then https://www.dev.ForMotherNature.com has the template set to Beez2 and the image rotator reduces just fine.

I looked at the Beez2 position.css file thinking it is something with the wrapper and I could compare it to Protostar but Protostar does not appear to have a position.css file and I do not comprehend the template.css file. Not sure what code needs to go where. I do not know how to read html or css but am willing to edit it.

I have PPC Simple Spotlight version 3.0
Joomla version 3.9.24

I want to stick with Protostar and with PPC Simple Spotlight if possible. I contacted Pixel Point Creative several days ago but have not gotten a response. Their website is on "pause" while they reconsider some things (no pages are available for support). Even the ability to download the extension again (in hopes there is a newer version) is on pause. I am hoping some simple code will resolve this. I saw similar but not close enough posts about phone issues in the Forum.

Thank you in advance
Cathy (Kitzula)

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Protostar template affecting PPC Simple Spotlight extension so image rotator not reducing to fit phone screen

Post by AMurray » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:48 pm

Custom CSS should go into the user.css file that you create within the template files. Refer to
https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Adding_a_c ... _Protostar.

The concept given above should be similar for any template when creating a custom css file.

Does it make a difference if the Protostar template is set to the "Boxed" or "Fluid" layout?

Any chance you can consider testing some other banner/image rotators?
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

Kitzula
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Protostar template affecting PPC Simple Spotlight extension so image rotator not reducing to fit phone screen

Post by Kitzula » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:31 pm

Thank you AMurray for your reply. The link is helpful for how to edit a css file for Protostar but I am at a loss as to what to add or change. Suggestions are welcome. I am not experienced.

It does not make a difference for my problem when I change the Protostar template from "Static" (I assume that is like "Boxed") to "Fluid". "Fluid" changed how my website looks on my extra wide monitor, so that articles are stretched across a wider area. It does not affect the problem I am having with my phone, so it is back to "Static".

I am hoping to keep PPC Simple Spotlight as my rotator because I have been pleased with it, it was free, and I have many files of 20 images already set up. It seems that surely someone else has had this problem or has another idea to try. At some point, I will have to give up, but it is early, I am hopeful.

-Cathy (Kitzula)

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:18 am

The template must be Beez_20. Threre is no Beez 2. The issue is shown in both Beez3 and Protostar Template. I noticed a Mootools error in Beez_20. The Joomla 3 templates do no longer load Mootools. It was deprecated in 2.5 and removed in 3.0

The last update of the extension is 4 years ago.

Kitzula
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kitzula » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:49 pm

Thank you Per Yngve Berg. My apologizes. My references to Beez2 are really Beez_20. In my researching online, I saw the template called Beez2 and thought that was more understandable since 2 comes before 3.

I do not understand the implications of what you said about Mootools. It sounds like Mootools is not in Protostar and that may be causing Protostar to have problems displaying my image rotator? I am not sure where to go with that.

In looking at the Beez_20 template position.css file, I saw the following wrapper code and do not understand it exactly but I created a user.css file for my Protostar test template (based on earlier reply about putting custom template code in a Protostar user.css file -thank you AMurray for how to do that). I am only guessing that this wrapper code is relevant. I did not see any change in how my phone displays the image rotators based on this code but I am also unsure whether it is the relevant code anyway.

Is there some other code I should try in the user.css file for my Protostar template?

#wrapper
{
width:53%;
float:left;
position:relative;

}

#wrapper2
{
width:72%;
float:left;
position:relative;
padding-bottom:20px

}
#wrapper2 .item-page
{
max-width:660px
}

Thank you,
Cathy (Kitzula)

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:22 pm

All elements in the slider have an inline width: 940px set.

Kitzula
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kitzula » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:53 pm

Thank you Per Yngve Berg for replying but your response is above my head. Can you dumb it down for me? I am not a coder (which is mostly ok with Joomla). I do not know what to do with the information you provided.

Thank you,
Cathy (Kitzula)

Kitzula
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kitzula » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:39 am

In case I confused anyone looking at my sites, let me clarify: In my original post, I had set the Protostar template on my real site and the Beez2 (Beez_20) template on my Development site. But then while trying custom css with the Protostar template on my Development site, I forgot to set it back to Beez2 when that custom css did not help. If you happened to look at my Development site during that timeframe, you would see the identical problem with the image rotator on both of my websites. I have now (late on 1/25) reset the Development website to Beez2 in case anyone is looking and wants to see that the image rotator works with Beez2 (Beez_20). I just wish it would work with Protostar. Surely there is a way.

-Kitzula (Cathy)

Kitzula
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kitzula » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:57 am

Could my problem be related to PHP 7.3.23? In looking at reviews for other image rotators, someone complained that their rotator didn't work right after they upgraded to PHP 7.3.

Kitzula
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Protostar template affecting PPC Simple Spotlight extension so image rotator not reducing to fit phone screen [ended

Post by Kitzula » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:39 pm

Not exactly solved, but I am ending my request for help. Since I haven't heard of a simple tweak I can make, I am installing the Pro version of the extension which I am told should work. First I'll try it in Dev environment, then for real. Fingers crossed.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”