Kickstart.php Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
gcopping
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Kickstart.php

Post by gcopping » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:46 am

I am trying to restore a Joomla installation and have downloaded the Akeeba backup and kickstart.php files to my domain. However when I try to run http://domainname/kickstart.php in my browser I just get the Windows Save As window opening.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Last edited by toivo on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x General Questions

xplosion
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Kickstart.php

Post by xplosion » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:53 am

It seems that PHP interpreter is non enable on your server. Check with your hosting provider.
"I understand that an untested backup is as good as no backup at all"

gcopping
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by gcopping » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:57 am

Thanks I will check with my hosting company.

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Pavel-ww » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:05 pm

gcopping wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:46 am
I am trying to restore a Joomla installation and have downloaded the Akeeba backup and kickstart.php files to my domain. However when I try to run http://domainname/kickstart.php in my browser I just get the Windows Save As window opening.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Hi.
First thought. Kickstart.php must be renamed before use. Replace at least one letter.

The second thought. In Kickstart.php is not necessary. Switch in the Akeba Backup from JPA to ZIP settings, create a new backup. You will receive a zip archive that can be unpaved without using KickStart.php. This script is only needed if the hosting does not have the functionality of unpacking archives. But probably no such hosting no longer happens. It was an oldschool approach. :)

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:38 am

First thought. Kickstart.php must be renamed before use. Replace at least one letter.
Renaming kickstart.php is not required for the free version, just the pro version. But that wouldn't prevent the script running - even in the pro version, you're alerted to the "you must rename the file before proceeding", so the script has to launch initially.
The second thought. In Kickstart.php is not necessary. Switch in the Akeba Backup from JPA to ZIP settings, create a new backup
I'd suggest the fact the OP is trying to restore the site means the site is no longer running...therefore he can't do another backup......

Kickstart is an all in one utility to restore the site. It not only unpacks the archive, but restores the database. which is useful if you're not familiar with importing SQL files with phpMyAdmin etc. All you have to do is create a new database (and that can be done in cPanel/equivalent hosting utility), you don't have to use phpMyAdmin at all.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Pavel-ww » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:12 am

AMurray wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:38 am
Kickstart is an all in one utility to restore the site. It not only unpacks the archive, but restores the database.
Hi AMurray. Here I can argue with you. Kickstart is needed only to unpack the JPA archive. It was done for those cases when there are no tools to work with archives on hosting. You can even use any third-party unpacking script instead of Kickstart. And the result will be the same. Database recovery depends on the Installation Dericory. And this process begins only after unpacking. You can easily check this by creating a Zip archive in Aceeba. Recovery from ZIP archive occurs in the same way, with the exception of the unpacking step. This step you make yourself, unpack zip archive by hosting panel tools.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:24 pm

@Pavel-ww
You appear to be missing the point. The php file will not run!!!
It may be because something changed on the server that stopped the site from working that propmted the op to try and restore the site.

@gcopping
Create a test.php with some text in it and see what happens when you point your browser at it. If no avail then contact your Host
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

gcopping
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by gcopping » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:32 am

Thanks all for your help, my server host has managed to fix the problem I was having.

However when I try and run the restore I now get the message "Unable to connect to the Database: Could not connect to MySQL.".

One thing I am not clear on is whether I should have Joomla installed or not on the domain I am trying to restore to. At the moment I do have Joomla installed.

Additionally with Joomla installed when I am asked for db name and password do I enter this for the Joomla installation I already have installed or the one I am trying to restore. None of this is clear from the Akeeba Restore documentation.

I have never tried to do this before so any help greatly appreciated.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:49 am

The Kickstart utility should restore the backup file into an empty Joomla folder. It prompts the database connection details, therefore you should type in the connection details of the new database you created so that the installation can connect to the database.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:41 am

gcopping wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:32 am
Additionally with Joomla installed when I am asked for db name and password do I enter this for the Joomla installation I already have installed or the one I am trying to restore. None of this is clear from the Akeeba Restore documentation.
You install it to the database that you want to use for the site.

The installer that is packed in the .jpa file
https://www.akeeba.com/documentation/ak ... llers.html

Database server host name. The database server host name. Usually it's localhost, but you must ask your host for this setting, or consult your hosting account control panel, as this setting is usually displayed there.
Important

Despite what you think, localhost and 127.0.0.1 are two completely different things for PHP's MySQL drivers. It is possible -especially on a Mac OS X local or live server- that your database server does not connect when using localhost. Just use 127.0.0.1 and it will! This will save you a lot of hair pulling if you're dealing with MAMP or ever try to test restore your site to a Mac.

Username. The username of the database server user. Please consult your host.

Password. The password of the database server user. Please consult your host.

Database name. The actual name of the database you want to restore to. If you choose a database which already has tables in them, existing tables with the same name as the ones being restored will be overwritten (replaced) by default. You may want to ask your host for the correct value of this setting.

The Database table name prefix is up to your liking. For security purposes it's best to not use the default prefixes used by most common site scripts (e.g. jos_ or wp_). Ideally, you should use three to four letters followed by an underscore, e.g. tst_ or test_.

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:14 pm

The restore function of Kickstart is not really any different to installing a new Joomla site - it's asking for the exact same information.

I'm sure the Kickstart application itself also gives you the option - DROP the existing tables then install them again from the archive, or backup the "old" tables and restore a fresh copy of the tables from the archive (or you can specify a new table prefix.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:39 pm

AMurray wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:14 pm
The restore function of Kickstart is not really any different to installing a new Joomla site - it's asking for the exact same information.

kickstart doesn't install the backup it unpacks the .jpa file and opens the installer. The installer is in the/installation folder. But yes ANGIE installer is much the same as Joomla install.

gcopping
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by gcopping » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:11 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded all were a great help. I have now got this sorted.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”