Need Someone Brilliant for Subscription Solution

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
kjersos
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Need Someone Brilliant for Subscription Solution

Post by kjersos » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:17 pm

I am hoping some brilliant person can find a solution that I haven't been able to find.

I am looking for the ability to create a subscription that mimics going to a school in real life. Basically the premise that you have to go to class that day to be able to access the class materials for that day. Or in this case you are subscribed for that class that day the class is taught.

You wouldn't think this wouldn't be tough as every school in the world does this but... it seems online it is a really hard thing to do at least in Joomla. I have checked out and talked to a number of developers who have existing subscription programs and they say no. This isn't something that their subscription programs can do. Please note I am not a programmer so am relying on what is out there already.

So to be clear here is an example of what I would like to be able to do.

Let's pretend we have a 10 week course. Each week we have a new class. The 10 week course repeats every 10 weeks. Anyone is allowed to join on any week. But they can't see past classes only the current and future ones that come up. If they were not in class at that time, they can't see the class that they were not present for.

So in Week 1 we have Class 1.
In Week 2 we have Class 2
In Week 3 we have Class 3 and so on.

So if you join in Week 3 you can't see the class material for Week 2 or Week 1. At least not when you join.
Because as I mentioned the classes repeat. After Week 10 we would do Week 1 again. If they are still subscribed to the monthly subscription this is when they could access the Week 1 course material.

The idea being that everyone gets to take the same classes at the same time, that anyone can join at anytime and not have to wait endless weeks for a course to start.

If anyone, anyone at all has any ideas I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks!
Nadja

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Need Someone Brilliant for Subscription Solution

Post by gws » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:21 pm

Maybe Moodle is better suited to your needs? There are extensions that allow Moodle and Joomla to work together.
https://moodle.org/

kjersos
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kjersos » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:20 pm

Thank you for the suggestion! But from what I can see Moodly does not solve the issue I am trying to address of accessing only classes that are being presented this week. Think of this like going to school in real life.

Warmly
Nadja

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:36 pm

I'm sure there's a way to do it.

Joomla allows "timed publishing" where an article can be published, and then automatically unpublished at a specified time.

So each week's materials can be prepared, and scheduled for publishing on the date(s) of the relevant class, and unpublished at the relevant time.

They can then be rescheduled for the following rotation of the course.

If you used a download component, the web admin or class tutor (if they are controlling the material availability) could easily publish/unpublish the materials within the component. Some may even have the scheduled publishing function but would have to reset the publish/unpublish dates weekly according to the class schedules.

These could be tied in with a subscription component to handle the payment and access side of things, so you could set up your 'subs' for the (using your example) 10 week time-frame which would allow the student access for the 10 weeks, regardless of their commencing at Week 1 or whatever the case may be. The subscription would then run for the 10 weeks and expire when done.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Help you I can, yes!. Post your question, you should. Keep it on topic you must!
Use the Forc....Forum Post Assistant my young Padawan!

kjersos
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kjersos » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:06 pm

Hi AMurray,

Really appreciate your feedback.

Yes I thought the same thing that timed publishing could be the answer. But I run into one problem because as you mention we need to unpublish for the next go round, so that they can't see them until the next class is taught but really I would like for them to keep access when done.

One solution I can think of if I go down this route is to duplicate all the articles/classes, the first group to be timed to only be available on a timed basis which you keep resetting as you mention, the other they get assigned to when they are finished the courses. Just can't figure out how to do that automatically and obviously prefer not to do it manually for every person for every course.

But would much prefer they can keep access to the class as soon as they take it, especially if they need to refer back to an earlier class in any particular course. And so far the only way I can see to do that is make every single article/class a unique subscription as a unique group level and each week send them to a page where they can sign up for their weekly subscription of classes. (Note: We are set up as an ongoing monthly subscription.)

But since we are teaching literally hundreds of classes through dozens and dozens of courses that would make their Subscription list insane and I worry about Joomla getting hiccups over having 2000 or more unique access levels, one for each class. But theoretically that should work????

Just seems insane that you would have to do that for something that is set up as a CMS. lol Keep thinking there has to be a better way to do this.

Warmly
Nadja

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”