JComments and spam

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
becar
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

JComments and spam

Post by becar » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:25 pm

I'm using the latest version of Joomla and latest JComments 3.0.7.7.1.
I turned off all permissions for unregistered users, so they can not leave comments. I tested the configuration and when the user is not logged in he does not see the form to add comments at all. However, every day I have a large number of spam, from unregistered users (each from a different ip address).
What could be the problem?

mjparadac
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: JComments and spam

Post by mjparadac » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:04 pm

Are you using an anti spam tool?
Has your web host informed you of any vulnerabilities?

Regards,
Joomla Community Ambassador for A2 Hosting | A2 Hosting - Our speed, your success | https://www.a2hosting.com/joomla-hosting

becar
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by becar » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:12 pm

I use Re Captcha. No I am not informed of any vulnerabilities.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:30 pm

becar wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:25 pm
I'm using the latest version of Joomla and latest JComments 3.0.7.7.1.
From where—URL please—did you download JComments 3.0.7.7.1?
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)
Testing J! 3.10: https://sintranet.enduring.com.au

becar
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by becar » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:40 pm

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:45 pm

Thank you. That's the version I use, too. 8)

Please refer to following screenshot:
jcomments.png
Go to Components » JComments » Settings » Permissions tab. Select the permissions for Guest.

Can you confirm that the checkboxes for Post new comments and Post replies to comments are unchecked, please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

becar
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by becar » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:53 pm

Yes. And unregistred user can't see addcomment form

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:07 pm

Thank you.

I don't have any further information or advice about why you're receiving spam. I use JComments slightly differently. I allow public comments on my J! articles (i.e. the comments form appears), unless I add the quickcode

Code: Select all

{jcomments lock}
to my articles. If I do that then no-one can post comments to those articles.

I'm also puzzled about the spam emails that I receive. I have configured JComments so that I have to approve all comments before they appear on the website. This works: no comments are published unless I approve them.

Even though I use Google's reCAPTCHA, people seem to be able to connect to the website to post comments and the analytic analysis doesn't help me to identify where they're coming from. Unless I were to spend several hours going through the raw data logs, it would be time-consuming to see where these messages originate. To put it another way, mechanisms exist that allow spammers to locate websites where "commenting forms" exist and to "post" comments (without leaving much of a trace about how they do it).

As I have written before on numerous occasions on this forum, CAPTCHA helps a little but it's not 100% guaranteed. It is regrettable that the only "captcha-like" extension used with JComments—and one that works with PHP 7.3+ and J! 3.9.x—is Google reCAPTCHA. Furthermore, the only version of JComments that works with Google reCAPTCHA is the one that you and I both use.

I wish I had an answer for you but, as far as I'm concerned, the small amount of spam that I get is something I'm able to manage. If you really want to stop certain articles from attracting spam comments, use the quickcode that I mentioned above. ;)

Best wishes.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”