Where is Fabrik ?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
aklisiewicz
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Where is Fabrik ?

Post by aklisiewicz » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:37 am

I was trying to download Fabrik and I do not see it on extension list anymore. Any idea what have happened ?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Where is Fabrik ?

Post by toivo » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:55 am

As Fabrik's entry in JED mentions, it is under investigation by the JED team. Fabrik is still available from its developer's website.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:22 am

http://www.fabrikar.com

It's a dispute about a use of a PDF Library.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:15 pm

“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Protopia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Protopia » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:53 pm

I used to be a big Fabrik fan and an active contributor to the Fabrik source code and to the Community forums and to the Wiki.

Then it was bought up by Media A-Team who effectively turned it into unsupported private software for their own use without any interest whatsoever in the Joomla Community.

In summary, I believe that Fabrik is fine for the simplest of database solutions - with a few fields. The learning curve is not steep, and for a few basic fields, you are unlikely to run into any constraints or issues.

Unfortunately, the solutions I want to create are not just a few fields. I was able to program fixes for bugs I found and even extend Fabrik with more functionality where it was lacking, however the Fabrik team (of one) never had either the time or interest to look at my changes and see whether they could be merged into the source code.

If you look on Github now, you will see that there are 38 of my Push Requests dating from 2013 to 2018 still open and awaiting review. The consequence of having these 38 PRs remain open was that keeping my projects in step with the Fabrik base code became impossible, and so in the end, I simply gave up on Joomla, turned my back on it and started to look for alternative software in which to create solutions.

If Media A-Team cared at all, then why has it now been well over a year since it was removed from the Joomla Extensions Directory and yet no effort whatsoever has been made to fix the issues of concern and get it relisted?

But perhaps the worst part of this process was the complete lack of concern for existing users and the community shown by the Media A-Team leadership. I had many suggestions on how they could work with the community in ways that would benefit both the community and themselves, but they simply were not interested in listening.

I spent time during lockdown researching alternatives, settling on the Joomla Component Builder (JCB). JCB certainly has a much bigger learning curve, but I believe that it is a more productive development environment, is capable of creating far more varied solutions, and developing using JCB will be a much better investment of time than with Fabrik.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:24 pm

Thank you, @Protopia, for your contribution—to what you have done for the Fabrik extension and for your support for the Joomla community. Your reply provides some interesting observations about the what happens behind the scenes. I commend you for your efforts. 8)
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Llewellyn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Llewellyn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:28 pm

The JED dispute with Fabrik after some investigation was about them making changes to the core of Joomla on installation. This whole ordeal was before my time at the JED, and yet I think the JED team made the right call.

Nonetheless I would really like to see them back on the JED as they are excellent developers who has much to offer the Joomla community.

But it does seem like they will have to make some changes to their architecture to more amicably extend Joomla.
<<ewe>>yn :geek:

Production Assistant to the DC
JED Team Leader
JCB Lead Developer

Llewellyn
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Llewellyn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:55 pm

Protopia wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:53 pm
... I spent time during lockdown researching alternatives, settling on the Joomla Component Builder (JCB). JCB certainly has a much bigger learning curve, but I believe that it is a more productive development environment, is capable of creating far more varied solutions,...
Thank you @Protopia for giving JCB a closer look. JCB has always aimed at build native Joomla extensions. So it really is the power of Joomla! that is being celebrated.
<<ewe>>yn :geek:

Production Assistant to the DC
JED Team Leader
JCB Lead Developer

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”