CAPTCHA - reCAPTCHA plugin error in Visforms

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
michwebdev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

CAPTCHA - reCAPTCHA plugin error in Visforms

Post by michwebdev » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:13 pm

There is a ReCaptcha error coming from Visforms on our sites.

The Joomla! CAPTCHA - reCAPTCHA plugin is set to Version 2.0. I've checked to make sure the correct ReCaptcha keys were entered.

The errors below show in the browser's Console. I am wondering if anyone can determine from this if it is an issue with the ReCaptcha, Visforms or some kind of conflict. The URL for the CSS file does not work.

The Visforms captcha does work, so it seems this may be a Google ReCaptcha issue.

GEThttps://www.gstatic.com/recaptcha/releases//styles__ltr.css
[HTTP/3 404 Not Found 34ms]

GEThttps://www.gstatic.com/recaptcha/releases//recaptcha__en.js
[HTTP/3 404 Not Found 162ms]

The resource from “www.gstatic.com/recaptcha/releases//styles__ltr.css” was blocked due to MIME type (“text/html”) mismatch (X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff).

The resource from “www.gstatic.com/recaptcha/releases//recaptcha__en.js” was blocked due to MIME type (“text/html”) mismatch (X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff).

Uncaught ReferenceError: recaptcha is not defined
<anonymous> www.google.com/recaptcha/api2/anchor?[object Map Iterator]=[object Map Iterator]:179
Last edited by toivo on Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x Administration, retitled

jdockum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: CAPTCHA - reCAPTCHA plugin error

Post by jdockum » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:45 pm

Just came to the forums to look for recent topics about Joomla & ReCAPTCHA after a client reported spam coming in.

I found the same errors as you've reported in the browser console, (so far) in two sites I manage. One has a commercial Joomlart theme and the other I custom made. Several other sites I've checked appear to be working fine. Strange!

jdockum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdockum » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:09 pm

Hi michwebdev, try updating PHP to 7.4 or higher? I noticed in one site, there was a warning about PHP 7.3 approaching EOL, so while it still works, it was one more 'update' to do. I set it to 7.4 and refreshed the site, and the ReCAPTCHA appeared.

I'm going to test on the other sites, but that's worth a look.

EDIT: well, that was not accurate. I was debugging a few things, including creating new sites and keys. It didn't work after the keys were replaced, but did after I updated PHP. When I tested updating PHP on another site, it did not fix it. I set up a new site & new keys, and it worked. So try that and see if it works?
Last edited by jdockum on Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michwebdev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by michwebdev » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:10 pm

We tried a tester page with our ReCaptcha keys based on example on the the Google ReCaptcha API page and that worked.

https://developers.google.com/recaptcha ... cit_render

jdockum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdockum » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:40 pm

Hi, I just put an update on the last post. I'm not sure what to tell you! Some weirdness.

So far I found 3 sites of mine with this problem. Many seem fine.
Site #1: I first tried replacing the keys with new ones, the issue remained. I noticed the PHP warning and updated PHP 7.3 -> 7.4 and it was working.
Site #2: Only updating PHP 7.3 -> 7.4, did not correct the issue. Tested with new keys and it worked.
Site #3: Only updating PHP 7.3 -> 7.4 corrected the issue. Did not get new keys.

Interestingly, as I tried to debug to answer here, I tested with Site #1. Set it back to PHP 7.3 and it did not work. Set back to PHP 7.4 and it still did not work. I was going to revert all changes to keys & PHP, and before I reverted the keys, it was working on PHP 7.3.

Not really sure what to tell you... but maybe somewhere to start.

michwebdev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by michwebdev » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:45 pm

That makes sense. Our version of PHP is old. I will try this on another server.

Thanks!!

will_sisinfo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: CAPTCHA - reCAPTCHA plugin error in Visforms

Post by will_sisinfo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 am

Hi! Were you able to fix it? We are facing the same issue with our sites. This seems really random.

I also created a post on stack overflow about this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/692 ... 4_69275416

michwebdev
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by michwebdev » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:32 pm

No idea how or why, but it began working about 5 days later, judging from a gap in submissions from an active form.

jdockum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jdockum » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:33 pm

One of the clients is reporting a few emails each day still coming in. In Google reCAPTCHA admin there was a notice at the top:
We detected that your site is verifying reCAPTCHA passed solutions less than 50% of the time. This could indicate a problem with your integration with reCAPTCHA. Please see our developer site for more information.
I have checked their site periodically and have not personally observed any further issues with it loading. Still not sure what happened, and now wondering about the warning & spam getting through.

Are you folks experiencing this with the standard Joomla contact form or something else?

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”