GTranslate plugin don't translate recently. Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

GTranslate plugin don't translate recently.

Post by FuzMic » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:20 am

Hi peers

I had been using plg_content_embed_google_map-2.3.0.zip for years and it translate fine. Recently i notice it does not translate any more. It may be after installing Joomla! 3.10.2 Stable [ Daraja ] 12-September-2021 11:01 GMT or earlier.

The funny thing is this same plugin works in Joomla 4.0.3.

Any stories to share

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: GTranslate plugin don't translate recently.

Post by FuzMic » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:40 am

sorry i quoted wrong extension, gtranslate is module v3.7.6 (not embed google map)

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:14 am

Guys
I found that mooTools cause the issue, turning it off works but other extensions that use mooTools get into problem.

Questions:
  • Is Joomla 4 not using MTl?
  • Can we turn off MTl for specfic extensions only?
  • Is there any work around you can think off?

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:41 am

MooTools has been deprecated with J! 3.x for many years. See https://joomla.stackexchange.com/questi ... ls-for-3-3. J 3.x does not use Mootools; J 4 does not use Mootools. You can search the internet for other opinions and ideas.

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:48 am

I just found the same problem is faced by SEF Translate by Andrey Kvasnevskiy ie only disabling MooTools it translate, very odd. However with Joomla 4, translation is ok ie 3.9.xx and 3.10.xx these two dont work. What is happening?

This lead me to think that the culprit may be google itself.

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:48 pm

Dear Developers

I did some testing
1) install Joomla 3.10.2, gtranslate module DONT/T translate
2) install Jooma 3.9.15, granslate DO translate

That is why i see no problem in the past. So guys what change in 3.10.xx to cause this. In 3.10.xx we have to disable MooTools then it will translate but it then created many good extension eg arislider to fail.

By the way can i go back to 3.9.xx from 3.10.xx

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:31 pm

Developers I really hope you guys can fix it in the next 3.10.xx; it will help a number of google translation extensions.

Moreover there is no reason for this hiccup as Jm 4.xx gtranslate fine. Please do the needful. Thank you.

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Gtranslate issue in 3.10.2

Post by FuzMic » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:03 am

Hi gurus

I have upgraded all the way from 3.9.28 to 3.10.2 whenever it pops up. I did not see any problem with the 3.10.xx series.

Only a few days ago, I notice the gtranslate module do not google translate any more with 3.10.2. I never had this problem with 3.9.xx series.
I did not expect this for 3.10.xx series because when i played around with Joomla 4, gtranslate works. I therefore expect the continuity of this compatibility in the 3.10.xx series.

When i check with developer of gtranslate, they say that I can try disabling MooTools with a plugin. I resist this idea because I don't see an compatibility issue through the years. However I did try disabling MooTools & gtranslate work .. but then all extensions using MooTools got into trouble, not the way for me. :(

To check if this is a problem unique to gtranslate, i install SEF translate that also rely on google translate. Just like gtranslate, it does not work in the 3.10.xx series.

Gurus, i hope you can look into this and have the next 3.10.xx without the break of this compatibility that only occur in the 3.10.xx series. Looking forward to your great job. Also thanks for the great job and effort all these years.
Last edited by toivo on Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: split from 3.10.2 Discussions - cross posting is against the forum rules

gsmela
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Discuss Joomla! 3.10.2

Post by gsmela » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:21 am

I had this same problem and deleted all the moo*.* files in media/system/js. Once i did that, gttranslate worked properly.

I don't understand why mootools files were even included in Joomla 3+ since it was deprecated.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:45 am

@FuzMic, the last two replies were merged into this topic from a cross posted reply in the topic Discuss Joomla! 3.10.2 in the Announcement Discussions. Please note that cross posting is against the forum rules, which is why such posts and topics get reported by other members.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Mootools

Post by sozzled » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:00 am

gsmela wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:21 am
I don't understand why mootools files were even included in Joomla 3+ since it was deprecated.
Mootools was shipped with J! 3.0 to allow for the migration from J! 2.5 to J! 3.0 and for no better reason than that. Mootools was used by the Hathor backend template which, unfortunately, was kept in J! 3.x but it is also used in 197 files (all of them in the backend) as well. Therefore, "disabling" Mootools from the backend could compromise how you are able to manage your J! 3.10 website.

How do we know Mootools is used in the J! 3.10 backend? It's quite easy. You start by looking at the documentation on Javascript Frameworks for J! and then you look for "behavior." within all the PHP files on a J! 3.10 website.

It's pointless deleting the moo*.* files from the folder ../media/system/js. They're part of the core CMS and they're replaced when people update from one version of J! 3.x to another version of J! 3.x. So that's a waste of time. Secondly, if you delete these files, you may not be able to perform some maintenance activities in the backend, so you could be crippling your website.

If people find references to Mootools (i.e. they search for "behavior." in all the PHP files included with J! 3.10) they will find 197 files. All of these files are located in the backend (i.e. the /administrator folder). If you find references elsewhere there do not come from the J! 3.x core CMS; they come from third-party extensions that people have installed.

UPDATE: I know of one [official] extension for J! 3.x that uses Mootools: Weblinks. I don't use Weblinks myself; I mention it only in passing.

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:26 am

Noted the pointing out of cross reference; in my desperation to get a fix of this translate problem but i now know that the relevant gurus will have seen my plead. I hope the 3.10.3 testing version has looked at this issue.

By the way i notice recently this site is slow, why, is it my end problem?

sozzled said: It's pointless deleting the moo*.* files from the folder ../media/system/js.
The effect of deleting these moo*.* appear to have the same effect of disabling mooTool using a plugin which then cause so sliders extension to fail.
If so what should i do. Please advise.
Last edited by FuzMic on Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:40 am

You need to search all of the PHP files on your website and look for the text

Code: Select all

behavior.
When you have done that, you will know everywhere you are using (or could be using) Mootools. Do you understand what you need to do next? If you still think this is a bug in J! 3.10.x then report it as an issue of GitHub. I don't think it's a bug in J! 3.10.x but what would I know? ;)

Basically, if this was my website and I was using an extension doesn't work with the current, supported version of J!, there are two things I could do:

1) Uninistall the extension; or
2) Use a version of J! that supports the extension and accept the consequences that arise therefrom.

There's no point in asking the J! developers to design the CMS around one third-party optional extension just because a couple of people want it. 8)

FuzMic wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:26 am
...I now know that the relevant gurus will have seen my plead.
How do you know that? I haven't seen any ripple on GitHub that indicates this is a "known issue" that deserves any "fix". Remember: the developers—the only "gurus" who are relevant—do not visit this forum!
Last edited by sozzled on Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:51 am

Sozzled

I found that there is no moo*.js files in Joomla 4 perhaps that is why Jm4 SEF gtranslate & gtranslate works.

I found that they are two third extensions facing this problem, perhaps they are not an isolated case.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:02 am

FuzMic wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:51 am
I found that there is no moo*.js files in Joomla 4 perhaps that is why Jm4 SEF gtranslate & gtranslate works.
That's what I would have expected but so what?

This discussion is about a problem that you're having with J! 3.10.2; it doesn't matter to me if your extensions work (or don't work) in J! 4 or J! 3.9 or any other version. You have a problem with your website and you have to work your way through your problem.

As I wrote before,
sozzled wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:40 am
if this was my website and I was using an extension doesn't work with the current, supported version of J!, there are two things I could do:

2) Use a version of J! that supports the extension and accept the consequences that arise therefrom.
How you choose to resolve the matter is up to you. I have no further advice I can offer.

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:07 am

When i seach within all .php files for "behavior" there is a huge of files. Just an example

JHtml::_('behavior.tabstate');
within file d:\WWW\ALS\administrator\components\com_admin\admin.php

Where did i go wrong

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:25 am

sozzled wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:00 am
If people find references to Mootools (i.e. they search for "behavior." in all the PHP files included with J! 3.10) they will find 197 files. All of these files are located in the backend (i.e. the /administrator folder). If you find references elsewhere these do not come from the J! 3.x core CMS; they come from third-party extensions that people have installed.
If you find more than 197 files containing the text "behavior." then these are not part of the core J! 3.10.2 CMS filesystem; they came from somewhere else. If you find less than 197 files containing the text "behavior." then you've deleted something. You should put whatever you deleted back.

sozzled wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:40 am
If this was my website and I was using an extension that doesn't work with the current, supported version of J!, there are two things I could do:

If you want the developers to "fix" something then you need to report this matter to them. I am not a developer; I don't SEF GTranslate; I don't even know what it's used for and I don't really want to know. :)

sozzled wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:02 am
How you choose to resolve the matter is up to you. I have no further advice I can offer.
Good luck. 8)

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:43 am

GTranslate
Version: 3.7.6
Developer: GTRANSLATE INC
Last updated: May 12 2021
Are you running the latest version?

It was updated 5 months ago.

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:01 am

@sozzled: How to report to developer?

I respect your point of view about backup and not venturing to a new J! version. I must say in this case i have chosen a shaky assumption that it 3.10.xx is ok when my experience is good from 3.9.1 to 3.9.28 and further assumed that 3.10.xx is essentailly the same.

Whatever in order to learn, i follow your advice to see where it leads me.
For whatever it is worthed; my search of all php files for the text 'behavior' it turns of 436 files. I cannot make out it's significance.

SEF translate and gtranslate are two popular extensions that google translate a page based on a country you select.

@Per Yngve Berg: gtranslate latest is 3.7.6 there is no newer version. It google translate in Jm4 and throughout all versions of Jm3.9.xx.

gsmela
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by gsmela » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:19 am

@sozzled - Thanks for the detailed explanations in this thread. Very helpful!

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:49 am

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:20 pm

FuzMic wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:01 am
@sozzled: How to report to developer?
I don't know the answer to this question because I don't know which developer you are referring to. Are you talking about one of the developers for the J! CMS, the developer of SEF Translate (not listed on the JED) or GTranslate or the developer(s) of one of the other extensions you've installed on your website?

You need to be more specific with your question.

Let me restate: you've written that GTranslate works if you disable MooTools but this means that "all extensions using MooTools" get "into trouble". So what do you mean by "all extensions"? Whatg "trouble" do they get into? Are these extensions important?

You have written that you've found 436 files containing the text "behavior." within your website. I wrote:
sozzled wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:25 am
If you find more than 197 files containing the text "behavior." then these are not part of the core J! 3.10.2 CMS filesystem; they came from somewhere else.
I don't know where the other 239 files have come from. Only you might know the answer to that question.

So the question comes back to you: what, specifically, do you want to do? It's your website, your business and (to be fairly blunt) your problem.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:46 pm

Have you loaded Jquery in no-conflict mode as stated in the document I linked to?

Conflict between Jquery and Mootools is an old known issue.

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:18 am

Berg sir appreciate you trying to help ... but novice like me don't know where to begin even for such an old conflict issue.

JHtml::_('behavior.framework');// this code make sure that mootools loads first
your code here
Now in your jQuery plugin, return the jquery handler.

var jQ = jQuery.noConflict(); // now use jQ instead of $ symbol
your code here
or just the below code

jQuery.noConflict(); // this will keep using the $ symbol
your code here

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:35 am

There is a file jQuery.min.noconflict.js

Maybe the version without noconflict are loaded.

municipal
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by municipal » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:35 pm

We are having the same exact issue with GTranslate. We also spoke with the developer who had us disable mootools. While disabling mootools allowed translations to happen, it breaks the website template and lots of functionality.

We also found that this issue began once we updated from 3.9 to 3.10.

We get all types of weird errors when we try to translate the website in 3.10 while looking at the console and network tab on the browser as well such as error code 400 from google translate api and "The resource from “https://translate.googleapis.com/transl ... terator%5D” was blocked due to MIME type (“text/html”) mismatch (X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff)."

No idea why mootools is causing this issue when it should've been deprecated from J3.

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:19 pm

@municipal bro

I am stuck to my core, I can understand how you feel (disable MooTools, depreciated MTl, J!3.10.xx); I am no expert on coding. I was just trying to cope with the fiasco when I slip in my backup before upgrading practice.

3 things to share

1. SEF Translate in J! 3.10.2 in a simple website do translate, but once i try it on a real site, it does not translate. gTranslate never translate from the start in a simple mop up of J! 3.10.2.

2. I have upgraded to 3.10.3 based on the hope the J! team can have a go at this; no avail!

3. I am working out to redo the affected website using J! 3.9.28 based on mySql database. Funny turn out to note for J! developers: once a server eg localhost can translate eg using with a site in J! 3.9.28, another site on 3.10.2 can suddenly also translate.

Underlying I was of the view that J! team will not rock the boat if they are continuing on a series eg J3. Extension developers state in Extension Directory whether it is for J3 or J4; there is no something in the middle. Moreover when i test with J4, translate ok. I am surprise there is a break in the 3.10.xx series.

The popularity of Joomla is partly due to its huge vault of extensions to help non experts like me. My opinion is J! will want to help developers for their extension remain stable in a series.Lack of compatible extensions is why users are reluctant to use J!4.

Sorry if whatever i said is dumb; I must admit I don't have a full understanding of how things work.

municipal
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by municipal » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:12 pm

Completely understood. It makes no sense why the jump from 3.9 to 3.10 broke GTranslate's ability to successfully translate the site.

We're at a loss as well. We're still trying to figure out a workaround but haven't been successful yet.

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:39 am

municipal: It is soothing to know I, a no expert in coding, is not alone in this loss. I constantly feel squeese in between the 2 set of developers as i cry for help. Still trying ways to resolve this, seeking help from extension developers and working on my own with my tiny tool box.
Do share if you find something. Thank you.

municipal
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by municipal » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:11 pm

Still nothing as a workaround as of yet. We tried editing mootools-core.js to no avail. Every time we mess with mootools, it breaks other components and parts of our template.

GTranslate devs just want us to switch to the paid version as they say it doesn't rely on js.

We're going to keep trying to figure something out though.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”