GTranslate plugin don't translate recently. Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: GTranslate plugin don't translate recently.

Post by FuzMic » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:19 am

Guys

I redo the website starting from J! 3.9.28 and found the cuplit. I think I now understand a little better the hardship of pe7er & team in developing the 3.10.xx series. My humble apology.

In my case it was 2 older extensions that relying of MooTools (mooquee). One of the extension has option to switch to jquery. Once i avoid MooTools in the site, gTranslate do translate.

In fact with MooTools out of the way update to 3.10.3 is good for gTranslate.

There is one more site I have not been able to find the culprit YET. Gurus any way to speed up the search. I did the hard way by rebuilding from mysql database.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:35 am

I have explained earlier in this thread that if you search the files in your website and you find the text "behavior." then you have found something that uses MooTools. Then you need to look at the folders that these files are located in. If you find folders that relate to extensions—components, plugins, modules, templates or libraries—that you installed, then disable these extensions, one by one, until your GTranslate plugin works. That's how I would find the culprit.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:15 pm

@sozzled Bro

Now I am starting to understand your sincere effort to teach me how to find the culprit. I went the long way only then I fully understand the meaning of ‘behavior’; you were ever kind enough to spell it out to avoid my mistake.

The gTranslate developer tells me mooTools behaviour will cause gTranslate not to work. When I look at helper.php of the culprit I see the text 'behavior' together with 'moo'. Hence can I just search 'moo', it give a smaller list of .php files.

By the way are you aware of a nice & simple marquee extension that don’t use MooTools. Sorry to bug you with this. Thank you & full of appreciation.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:52 pm

1) I use Windows GREP to search for text within files.

2) I am not interested in marquee extensions.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:42 pm

You are RIGHT 👍👏

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:16 pm

FuzMic wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:42 pm
You are RIGHT 👍👏
By the way, I looked around at that "mooquee" thing and found an extension called Simple Mooticker that was designed for J! 1.5. So, when you're talking about "an older extension", you could be talking about something developed more than 10 years ago that pre-dates J! 3.0, like unexploded ordnance waiting to be detonated. It may have been pure coincidence that your recent update to J! 3.10 detonated that bomb.

Here's some https://www.developer.ps/moo/mooquee/changeLog.txt that I discovered about "mooquee":

Code: Select all

---------------------------------
mooquee - ChangeLog
WwW.developer.ps/moo/mooquee
---------------------------------

v1.1. 2009-01-30
- pause on mouse over container

v1.0. 2008-10-20
- added sod top, bottom direction extenstion (www.Sod.hu )
- update code to work with mootools v 1.2

- included a compressed version of mooquee

v0.2. 2008-01-25

- added the changeLog file to the package 
- added a new variable "steps" to help speed the movement
- deleted the variable "marSpacing" because it has no use :)

v0.1. 2007-09-05

- modified the code to accept percentage in width
Look at those dates! :laugh:

It may be a good opportunity to undertake a software audit of your website.

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:31 am

That💥is what I see during the rebuilding .. mine field clean up

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:18 am

I caught the final culprit in the 4th website by searching for 'moo' in all .php files using Total Commander, the positive list was shorter. On digging on the 4th positive find .php i found it was related to the extension "Attachment". I then uninstal the extension, what follows gTranslate work.

I have a look at GREP GUI version as i am not familar with Linux. I am happy with TCom as i can do FTP with a simple connection with IP address.

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Windows Grep; Attachments and MooTools

Post by sozzled » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:34 am

Fantastic. If you found those mongrels using Total Commander then it's done a good enough job for the time being. FYI, you can obtain Windows Grep—it's free—here: https://windows-grep.en.uptodown.com/windows. It's saved my life on dozens of occasions.

When you say that you discovered some extension involving the name "Attachment" are you referring to Attachments (last updated four years ago) which scores five out of five according to user reviews? Maybe you might post your own review of this product and inform the developer about using MooTools in the frontend? I checked the source code on GitHub and Attachments—originally developed for J! 1.5 but ported over time to J! 3.x) still uses MooTools in a dozen places.

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:30 am

Bro you are right it is attachments with an 's'.

The new version 3.2.6 has no moo issue so gTranslate works.

I am not sure what version was hiding in the closet and what i meant to use it for!

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by sozzled » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:53 am

My motto is "Use it or lose it". If you installed something, buried away, and you don't know what it is (or was) used for, chuck it out. OK? ???

I never used that Attachments because I never had any need for it. A lot of people (220 reviews), however, love it (or loved it) enough to give it five stars out of five. Lesson: keep your extensions up to date! 8)

FuzMic
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by FuzMic » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:51 pm

YES sir🙏👏getting late down the globe .. time to take a rest ☕

ricco123
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ricco123 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:07 pm

Hi, I've found this plugin to somewhat help in disabling Mootools:

https://digitaldisseny.com/en/joomla-ex ... -conflicts

Good luck!

ricco123
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ricco123 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:00 pm

Or, may be this one could work for you:

https://dj-extensions.com/downloads/cat ... erymonster

darb
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by darb » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:58 pm

Change this google translator to another translator that works with latest Joomla without Mootools is the best way forward. Edvard Ananyan the GT translator dev have many other projects he focus on but talk directly to him for updates.

Mootools have been a disaster since the debate over Jquery and Mootools and have created sooo many problems for users with this not good decision to use Mootools over the years.

Your complaint is just one of thousands that have had historical problem with these js conflicts driving away people from Joomla to Wordpress instead. One of Joomlas worst strategic decision ever...

aptol1952
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aptol1952 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:27 pm

We were having same issues. Some we managed to get working again by removing dated plugins but others not. Hired a js professional via Upworks and he fixed my issues
This was our root problem with Mootools-core being outdated from Joomla.
His fix for us is:

1. locate mootools-core in media/system/js folder
2. open mootool-core
3. Search for a?[]:f.isEnumerable(a)&&"string"!=typeof a?"array"==b(a)?a:e.call(a):[a]}
4. Remove
5. Save

Apparently on new joomla install this has been removed/fixed?

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”