Akeeba Backup Does Not Restore Databas

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
John666
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Akeeba Backup Does Not Restore Databas

Post by John666 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:31 am

I am using Joomla 3.10.0, PHP 7.3.32 and Akeeba 8.0.13.

I recently had a Joomla 3.10.0 site crash and had to resort to restoring a 7-day-old backup. All went well, apparently, but the database did not appear to have been restored. After seeking advice, I dropped all tables in the database befor restoring again using a clean public_html, backup files loaded via FTP, and kickstart.php (latest version). After restoration was completed, the database was still blank - ie no tables.

I did not see the ANGIE interface during the setup of kickstart - is this normal with the latest version?

All comment welcomed.

mjparadac
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Akeeba Backup Does Not Restore Databas

Post by mjparadac » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:42 pm

Hello John666

Akeeba Backup creates a single SQL file, which you can import into your new database.
Have you tried running the script in the phpmyadmin?

Regards,
Joomla Community Ambassador for A2 Hosting | A2 Hosting - Our speed, your success | https://www.a2hosting.com/joomla-hosting

John666
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by John666 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:04 pm

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean that Akeeba backup jpa files incorporate a single sql file for the database. If so, how can it be extracted from the jpa files - my backup consists of 14 jpa files.

mjparadac
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by mjparadac » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:59 pm

Hello John666

Take a look this documentation
https://docs.joomla.org/Backup_Basics_f ... !_Web_Site

Regards,
Joomla Community Ambassador for A2 Hosting | A2 Hosting - Our speed, your success | https://www.a2hosting.com/joomla-hosting

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:48 pm

Akeeba had a desktop extraction tool (since discontinued) but according to this documentation https://www.akeeba.com/news/1724-akeeba ... inued.html, you can use Kickstart to extract the files up to the point where you see the "Run the Installer" button. Don't proceed further with the restoration - close Kickstart. Then you can find the single SQL file as mentioned by @mjparadac which you open, and copy/paste the SQL query code into phpMyAdmin (or simply upload the *.sql file into the "import" screen) to import the data that way.

Alternatively you can extract the files with any archive extraction tool such as that in Windows (built in) or PKZip, WinZIP etc., but may take more effort (depending on the tool used) given you have to extract each 'part' of the archive (as you mention 14 JPA files). Kickstart will extract them all in one go.
Last edited by AMurray on Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Regards - A Murray

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Akeeba Backup does not restore database tables

Post by sozzled » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:50 pm

@John666: is this the same website involved in the discussion you started about problems viewing images?
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:02 pm

@sozzled - sorry - the post you referred to had been split by moderators and contains no posts from @john666 since it was 'hijacked' by another user. I think the topic you were intending to refer to was this one.

Cheers,
Regards - A Murray

sozzled
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Akeeba Backup does not restore database tables

Post by sozzled » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:21 pm

Thanks, @AMurray. Yes I meant the topic you referred to.
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”