Url for use in an Iframe

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
sv9779
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Url for use in an Iframe

Post by sv9779 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:18 am

For the life of me I can't remember how get the URL for use in an Iframe. I have uploaded a couple of PDF files to my Cpanel file manager. I created a new folder for them so they would be easy to find. I'm using Joomla 3.10 and Helix Ultimate. When I create my module I am using Wrapper. I can take any website off the internet and plug it in to the URL slot and I get an Iframe with that webpage. I just can figure out how to direct it to the PDFs that are stored in my file manger.

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Url for use in an Iframe

Post by Pavel-ww » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:44 am

sv9779 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:18 am
For the life of me I can't remember how get the URL for use in an Iframe. I have uploaded a couple of PDF files to my Cpanel file manager. I created a new folder for them so they would be easy to find. I'm using Joomla 3.10 and Helix Ultimate. When I create my module I am using Wrapper. I can take any website off the internet and plug it in to the URL slot and I get an Iframe with that webpage. I just can figure out how to direct it to the PDFs that are stored in my file manger.
Hi. If you want to do this without additional plugins, then you need to use a link through Google Docs Viewer.
Something like this.

Code: Select all

<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://your_domain.com/path_to_pdf/your-pdf.pdf&embedded=true" style="width: 600px; height: 600px;" frameborder="0">Your browser does not support frames</iframe>
Keep in mind that any links to third-party resources can have a negative impact on the page speed. Therefore, it is better to find the plugin to display PDF on the page.

sv9779
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sv9779 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:26 pm

Thanks for the reply,
The problem is I can't figure out what the path is to my PDF. I used to just use the wrapper in the module, but I can't remember how I used to find the path. Is there a plugin that you can recommend that might help me. Or a simple way to find the path. I dropped the PDF into my File Manager. It shows

"public_html/PDF Files" then I could add the "/my pdf file name"

Just can't figure out how to get there

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:48 pm

"public_html" is your web root. All path goes from there.

sv9779
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sv9779 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:00 pm

I finally figured it out, I had the path wrong. I found that the path was

"https://my_site.com/images/my_pdf"

I was trying to use public_html path and couldn't make it work. I also found if I put my PDFs in the images folder it made it easier. So I created a sub folder for just the PDFs and it's working fine.

Thanks for the help

Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the menu bar on top of the PDF so it doesn't show the "download, print, rotate" options

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:41 pm

The options you want to remove I would suggest are a part of the PDF reader software (e.g. Adobe), or the browser's internal function to handle PDF files and would be an end-user preference.

I don't think it's something you could easily manipulate to work the same for all users, as they would tend to use different browsers, different PDF readers and some I would have no doubt would like to be able to download or print the documents.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

sv9779
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sv9779 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:51 pm

AMurray wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:41 pm
The options you want to remove I would suggest are a part of the PDF reader software (e.g. Adobe), or the browser's internal function to handle PDF files and would be an end-user preference.

I don't think it's something you could easily manipulate to work the same for all users, as they would tend to use different browsers, different PDF readers and some I would have no doubt would like to be able to download or print the documents.
I think you're right. I haven't been able to find any way to do it. I did find program called PDF Candy that looks like it could manipulate the PDFs and limit the things a an end user can do. But not sure I want to to pay a hundred bucks for the program.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”