AuthorList (JoomlaHill) Vanished!

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
I-MAG
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

AuthorList (JoomlaHill) Vanished!

Post by I-MAG » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:23 am

Hello,

I hate it when this happens.
I'm using Authorlist, a component for author profile that shows their pictures, bios, and article list.
http://extensions.joomla.org/extension/author-list

When I go to their website which is listed on Joomla extension Directory, it turns out to be expired! :'(
http://www.joomlahill.com

I've been keeping an eye on it, and it has not bee renewed yet.

I'm worried about the future, when new versions of Joomla come, with which Authorlist is not compatible.

I faced that before, I was using a component (a paid one!) and they decided to discontinue it.
And I ha to manually move my authors' data to Authorhill.

I can't imagine thus happening again. It is a nightmare.

Does anyone know the developer(s) and can get a word from him weather they plan to come back?

Any other alternatives for this component.

Thanks.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: AuthorList (JoomlaHill) Vanished!

Post by AMurray » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:56 am

I don't see anything on VEL "abandonware" for this extension.....so can't say what has happened to the author or his site (since it comes up blank).

I can't see much in the way of alternatives either.

The closest I could find on a quick search of the JED was this one:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... for-joomla

The domain name it still registered, so the site must simply be down for some reason.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:55 am

@AMurray: You are correct that the domain name is currently registered but there is no active website currently associated with it.

An attempt was made to update the registration on 18 June this year (a few days ago). The attempt to update the registration was refused for the reason
This status code tells your domain's registry to reject requests to update the domain.
For whatever reason the domain name update request was refused, the fact remains that the extensions listed in the JED cannot be further accessed at the author's website.

No doubt this is unfortunate both for the author and for people who have or want to download extensions from the author as I, too, have done. It is unfortunate because I expect someone will report the situation to the JED administrators and action will be swift and immediate to remove all of the author's extensions from the listing. If this has not happened yet I expect that it will happen soon.

(As an aside, I also obtained one of the author's extensions on the JED—at no cost—and, as a way of showing my appreciation to him, I immediately posted a favourable recommendation at the JED. A lot of people obtain free extensions from the JED; it is really nice when the developers receive customer feedback as a way of giving them some recognition for their generosity. We, who offer our extensions at the JED at no cost, derive little pleasure in seeing our extensions merely siphoned off our sites and not receive one simple "thank you" in return.)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

I-MAG
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by I-MAG » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:58 pm

Thanks @sozzled and @AMurray

It breaks my heart to see this.
When I go to the site, I can read this:
NOTICE: This domain name expired on 6/6/2016 and is pending renewal or deletion.
I've been searching for the author's name (Jesus Vargas) hoping to find his email, but to no avail.

Let's hope it is a technical issue, not that the author decided to give up and discontinue the extensions. (I've see this happen). And yes I second what you said sozzled, those kind programmers who offer their extensios for free really deserve recognition and appreciation.

Thanks and regards.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:30 pm

I-MAG wrote:I've been searching for the author's name (Jesus Vargas) hoping to find his email, but to no avail.
I searched the source code of one of his extensions that I have and I found an address (a "gmail.com" one). I won't post it publicly but you could ask me by PM.
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

I-MAG
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by I-MAG » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:52 pm

sozzled wrote:
I-MAG wrote:I've been searching for the author's name (Jesus Vargas) hoping to find his email, but to no avail.
I searched the source code of one of his extensions that I have and I found an address (a "gmail.com" one). I won't post it publicly but you could ask me by PM.
Great! Could you please send it to me by a direct message.
Thanks.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:59 pm

I attempted to send you a direct/private message. Your forum profile denies me that ability, sorry.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:00 am

i have raised the issue with the JED with details instead of just reporting a broken link in case they can deal with the dev.
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

ice99
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ice99 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:00 pm

Any news?
Can somebody upload here last version of ExtraVote from Joomlahill?

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:33 am

All Joomlahill extensions have been de-listed from the JED. This topic can now be closed.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:13 pm

@I-MAG: I received your PM but I am unable to reply to you because you have disabled private messages as part of your profile.

I-MAG
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by I-MAG » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:37 pm

sozzled wrote:@I-MAG: I received your PM but I am unable to reply to you because you have disabled private messages as part of your profile.
Sorry about that. :-[ I've just enabled it.
Thanks.

gymvago
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by gymvago » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:56 pm

Oh! I have seen this issue just now. I work with Author List extension, it is very good. It is a pity and a problem now.

I-MAG
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by I-MAG » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:17 pm

I contacted the developer and this was his reply :(
I appreciate you asking. I am very out of date about Joomla now, and hardly ever use it. That's why I decided to go offline.

I don´t think I will publish any extension anymore :(

Hopefully someone else will come up with something like Author List.

Cheers!
:'( :'( :'(

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Thanks for the follow-up information. 8)

gymvago
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by gymvago » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:33 pm

oh! very sad news :( . I use this extensión still, and I do not know what I will do when I update my web. thank for the info

I-MAG
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by I-MAG » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Yes, very sad. :(
I could not find a comparable extension so far.

I'm already facing an issue, if somone canm help.
For some reason, when anyone registers on the site, they are added to author list automatically! This was not the case before.
I don't want that to happen, I want only users the have access level of "author" are added.

Any help?

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:36 pm

I-MAG wrote:For some reason, when anyone registers on the site, they are added to author list automatically! This was not the case before.
This sounds like a different problem unrelated to the AuthorList module. Suggest you look at the registration options to see what you've set for the value New User Registration Group.

I-MAG
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by I-MAG » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:09 pm

sozzled wrote:
I-MAG wrote:For some reason, when anyone registers on the site, they are added to author list automatically! This was not the case before.
This sounds like a different problem unrelated to the AuthorList module. Suggest you look at the registration options to see what you've set for the value New User Registration Group.
Thank you for your reply.
Things sound normal is user options:
ScreenShot3001.jpg
I guess it must be an authorlist issue. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:14 pm

In that case, there you probably have some other extension that overrides the Joomla user registration options and "automatically" places new accounts in the Author user group. I don't have any idea what that other extension may be. It's something you will have to test for yourself (on a test site/copy: disable all non-core Joomla extensions and create new accounts until you find that the new accounts are not being moved into the Author user group).

I-MAG
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by I-MAG » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:29 pm

sozzled wrote:In that case, there you probably have some other extension that overrides the Joomla user registration options and "automatically" places new accounts in the Author user group. I don't have any idea what that other extension may be. It's something you will have to test for yourself (on a test site/copy: disable all non-core Joomla extensions and create new accounts until you find that the new accounts are not being moved into the Author user group).
I have not added any new exteniosn lateley. This happened when I updated my Joomla. I guess Authorlist is missing something since it is oudated.
Anywa, will create a backup and test things and see.
But other Author list users, anyone facing the same issue???

jimhill10
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jimhill10 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:01 pm

Years ago I had com_authorlist on my site. Today I was doing some regular testing on my site and it would not come up due to an error where a query was being attempted on com_authorlist which was long ago uninstalled. There was no entry for it in the extensions table, but something is left over. I had not choice but to install the old com_authorlist and now the site works fine. Guess I will try to uninstall it and see if it breaks again. I am on PHP 7.0 so in October of 2016 I went through and uninstalled all the old extensions. BTW, I can send you the files I have for authorlist if you want them. My email on gmail is just jimhill10.

On another note, I have used Author Info box for several years on this and also on our company web site. It provides some fabulous functions that I have not found elsewhere. It does a great job of adding some social value to blog posts by highlighting the author information. This is the extension publish by Rubik-Kubik. They have given me excellent support over the years. You can see it in action here, scroll to the bottom, "About the Author." https://www.ufcinc.com/User-Friendly-Co ... nt-scanner
Jim Hill, UFC, Inc.

I-MAG
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by I-MAG » Sun May 21, 2017 3:02 pm

jimhill10
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jimhill10 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Fantastic!
Jim Hill, UFC, Inc.

clientel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by clientel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Like the other posts, I too rely heavily on this extension. It does not seem to be compatible with any Joomla version beyond 3.6.5 and coughs up Error: 1064 for menu items pointing to it in websites built on later versions.
Please check out my question at viewtopic.php?f=715&t=957361. I would be grateful for any help in overcoming this issue.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:19 pm

@clientel: please contact the author of this extension for support. Please do not cross-post on the forum. Thank you.

clientel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by clientel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:33 pm

No one can get in touch with the author of the extension. I have emailed him repeatedly. What is this forum for if we cannot post questions like this?

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:02 pm

Nothing wrong with posting questions (like this) on the forum. Likewise, we don't know everything about every one of the 8000 or so extensions listed on the JED either. If you feel that this particular extension falls into the category of "abandonware" you also have the right to inform the JED management team and report the extension to them.

I cannot say any more than that, sorry.

clientel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by clientel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Understood. But I posted it as a separate thread because I had a specific question about the error message I was getting and wanted to get thoughts on how to correct it.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”