I am sad about Kunena

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

I am sad about Kunena

Post by sozzled » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:37 pm

I'm a pretty upbeat kind of guy and I've been a happy and (I hope) helpful contributor to the Kunena project since I began my involvement with it in 2009. Kunena (actually it was its predecessor, Fireboard) was one of the main reasons that I adopted Joomla. The original project had some wonderful guys and I had the immense privilege of meeting them and becoming friends with them. I speak here of Oliver Ratzesberger, Ron Severdia (a former member of the PLT), and Matias Griese.

The original concept behind Kunena was to build a community-driven, true open-source forum product for Joomla. The overarching development philosophy was to develop the software in an harmonious manner (even if, at times, the team may have differing opinions) in a way that showed mutual respect for one another. It has been somewhat unfortunate that, over the past couple of years, as the original members of the development team drifted to other pursuits, that the current development team has not upheld the core philosophy of mutual respect and understanding.

I accept that my views have not always been the easiest for others to accept. We're all individuals after all, aren't we? But, despite those differences, I think that most of us would agree that we should be tolerant and respectful of other people's different opinions.

It is a sad day today. I posted a very polite, carefully-worded request at the Kunena forum. It would have been my 22,248th posting there (yeah, I admit it, I'm a "forum junkie"). My post was deleted before anyone could read it; even more sadly, I have been banned from posting further at their forum. I received no explanation for this peremtory and presumptuous action and further, the team has removed any ability I may have had to contact them. This is sad. It is sad because the principles espoused by the original team—for a community-driven, true open-source forum product for Joomla—have been abandoned and trashed.

I believe in free-speech and the right that people should have to express their opinions in a dignified, responsible and respectful manner. It is sad when others cannot tolerate opinions that are beyond their perception.

I'm no stranger to internet discussion forums, help-desk systems, bulletin boards, etc. I've used them as an end-user, as a forum moderator and as a website owner since way back to 1985. I think I have a reasonable handle on how to conduct myself "reasonably well." So, if people wonder what is my purpose in "having a whinge" at the Kunena team on the Joomla forum, that's a fair question. I merely want to point out that the current team is different in their behaviour to those I worked with for the first 6 years of the project's life; I feel compelled to publicly disassociate myself from any perceptions people may have about my attitude to the project and the attitudes of the current team who are running the project.

Just as importantly and for the public record, Ron, Oliver and Matias are likewise not associated or responsible for the current behaviour of the Kunena project.

Further, as there are no published terms of use for the Kunena project, it's impossible to know when one's behaviour deserves to be judged as intolerable.

So that's my story.

The good thing is that here, at the Joomla forum, is much more relaxing. I don't always agree with some of the things written here by others who manage/moderate this forum (and, at times, I've copped a bit of flak from them, too) but at least one knows where one stands here. :)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

MKDan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: I am sad about Kunena

Post by MKDan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:10 pm

oh sorry to hear.

severdia
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by severdia » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:22 am

I have to unfortunately concur with Mike's sentiment. When we (Oliver, Matias & Louis) "rescued" Kunena from the old Fireboard extension, we rebuilt what was beyond the best integrated forum component for Joomla—it was meant to be a full communication platform and integrated throughout other Joomla extensions. For the most part, that came to fruition. But in recent years, since the first four left, the direction has sadly gone downhill. Shady and non-transparent finances, poor quality code, insistence on using the web standards of yesterday instead of tomorrow, and alienating contributors all contribute to the decline of what was once a highly-regarded open source software project.

Seeing the current situation, I recently made an offer to the Kunena team to invest my own development resources and efforts on the condition they formalized their structure, communication and finances better. I was turned down. Oh well. So much for trying.

Is this extension ripe for a fork? :)
Author | Speaker | Mad Scientist
Author of Using Joomla from O'Reilly Media | http://www.usingjoomlabook.com/
Shakespeare and Joomla | http://www.playshakespeare.com

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by itoctopus » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:41 am

When I read the title of this post I thought they went out of business! It might have been a glitch (maybe they wanted to delete the post of another person but deleted yours instead) - have you tried contacting them through alternate means (Twitter, perhaps?)
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:46 am

Thanks, guys, for your show of support. No, sorry, @Kunena has blocked my Twitter account. I cannot read their postings there. And, no, it was no "glitch"; I was deliberately targeted, my post was deleted and I am banned from posting at their forum. If it was accidental there are are several moderators at that site who could reinstate me. I don't think that's going to happen soon.

As a footnote, after posting my original message here, they put back their terms of use page on their site. So, ignore my grey text that I wrote earlier today. Evidently they are still keeping watch on what I write, wherever I write it. ;D
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”