Reading confirmation button

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
capojere
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Reading confirmation button

Post by capojere » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 am

Hey there fellow Joomla community

I'm currently building an intranet for a company which intended to have only 'static' elements on their page. Since the start several things have changed and they've asked for more.
To the topic:
It should be possible to have a reading confirmation button on selected articles, so that the superior can check who has already read important information and who has not.

I was thinking of using php for getting the articleid, userid and a read field to construct a table in MySQLi, and depending on whether it is read or not, read will be either true or false.

I've already used the search function and this topic already came up several times, but still it seemed to me that it hasn't been answered properly yet. Also I've been looking for plugins which could handle this, but i did not find anything useful.

Has anyone done something similar in Joomla before and could give me a hint on how to get this done?
Or does anyone know an extension which could handle the problem?

edit: Might be the wrong forum to ask i accidentally picked, sorry about that!
Greetings
Capo

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Reading confirmation button

Post by effrit » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 pm

hi.
i guess you must write plugin and make simple table [user_ID][confirmed_articles_in_json_IDs]
you can specify ids of selected articles in properties.

1. if current article ID is in array of plugins properties
then
a. read data from your table, show conformation buttion in content if user havent confirm yet.

2. on buttion pressing do ajax post to php script, get json data from table and add article id in it if not exist.

Cloud Strife
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Cloud Strife » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:26 pm

This sounds exactly like the function I search for a long time.
Unfortunately I am not able to write plugins/extensions myself.
I thought about an extension which adds a sort of "Thank you" button under an article (of course without integration of social platforms like Facebook). In forums, this is a common thing.
If it is pressed by a registered user, his username appears in a list under the article. It would be nice to restrict visability of this list to some usergroups, but this is no essential feature.
I need this also for an intern news system for teachers at school.

effrit
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by effrit » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:09 am

If you have some php/mysql knowledge this is not an impossible task to make your first plugin.
You can just take some simple plugin like you mentioned and paste your own code.
You even not needed Ajax, i guess. Just make page refreshed with sending user_ID as GET parameter.

This is how Joomla works: get knowledge for free, but pay with your time or spend your money.

capojere
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by capojere » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:08 am

Hey effrit
Thank you very much in advance for the tips
I'll be trying it this weekend to realize the plugin, as it seems a rather doable thing to implement.
Any other tips concerning the plugin code?
I've heard other voices mentioning ajax and jss to fulfill this task, but imo php should get "smoother" results. What do you think?
greetings Capo

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”