STrange redirect after front end module editing

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
trogladyte
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

STrange redirect after front end module editing

Post by trogladyte » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Personally, I like my clients to leave their sites alone and let me do the changes. However, I have one client who thinks he can manage it. I have Modules only editing enabled on the frontend.

The strange issue I have is that, after either saving or cancelling out of an open module, I get redirected to <site URL>/component/config which is pretty much a white screen with a Save and Cancel button on it - neither do anything. Removing the /component/config and refreshign takes me to the Home page (obviously) and the changes (if made) have been correctly saved.

So the problem occurs after the save or cancellation. But I have no idea why - this is the first time I've used frontend module editing. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Ian Shere - Phoenix Website Design & Hosting
http://www.citruskiwi.com

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: STrange redirect after front end module editing

Post by Webdongle » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Template php conflict ?

trogladyte
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by trogladyte » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Your reply got me thinking. I had an issue recently (totally unrelated in the effect) where a piece of code I regularly added to .htaccess caused an issue. The code it:

RewriteBase /
#
# Remove Trailing Slash (Normally would be the opposite)
# Excluding the administrator folder to prevent infinite redirect issue.
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !administrator
RewriteRule ^(.*)/$ $1 [R=301,L]

Now I'm no code person, so anything I use like this is copied and pasted. This is meant to remove the trailing "/" after any URL. It was this that caused the previous error, and, removing it just now, fixed the strange redirect issue.

As I said, I'm no coder so I don't know why it caused this, if it's written properly (I did find it some years ago so maybe it isn't compatible with the latest Joomla or PHP) or if it's even needed anymore.
Ian Shere - Phoenix Website Design & Hosting
http://www.citruskiwi.com

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Copying/pasting code that you don't understand is a great way to get your site hacked. Here are a few other things that you can do to get hacked https://docs.joomla.org/Top_10_Stupides ... tor_Tricks

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”