Kunena and account creation email confirmation

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ggossamer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Kunena and account creation email confirmation

Post by ggossamer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:37 am

Hi, I'd like to implement Kunena on my site, but I was told it's not possible to have an email sent to the user to confirm their account. Is that true?

Is it not possible to require a user click a link in an email after registering to confirm their account?

What do people use to prevent spam with Kunena?

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Kunena and account creation email confirmation

Post by sozzled » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:37 am

ggossamer wrote:Hi, I'd like to implement Kunena on my site, but I was told it's not possible to have an email sent to the user to confirm their account. Is that true?
Who told you that? What a load of rubbish! Where did you hear that?
ggossamer wrote:Is it not possible to require a user click a link in an email after registering to confirm their account?
See my previous response
ggossamer wrote:What do people use to prevent spam with Kunena?
Different question / different subject. Have you searched the internet for some answers? 8)
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

ggossamer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ggossamer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:30 pm

sozzled wrote:
ggossamer wrote:Hi, I'd like to implement Kunena on my site, but I was told it's not possible to have an email sent to the user to confirm their account. Is that true?
Who told you that? What a load of rubbish! Where did you hear that?
Thanks so much. That's what I thought. What about during the regular registration process to create an account on the site? Is captcha the only protection or is it possible to require a confirmation email there too?

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:47 pm

Pardon me for my persistence but I would really like to know where you obtained the information that the account registration process used by the Kunena component was, in any way, different to the process used by Joomla. When people write "I was told that ..." or "I read that ...", we need to know the source of that information. If someone is promoting misinformation then we need to identify the source(s) of that misinformation and correct it.

So, again, can you please tell us who "told" you what you claim you were told. Thank you.
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

ggossamer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ggossamer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:59 pm

sozzled wrote:Pardon me for my persistence but I would really like to know where you obtained the information that the account registration process used by the Kunena component was, in any way, different to the process used by Joomla. When people write "I was told that ..." or "I read that ...", we need to know the source of that information. If someone is promoting misinformation then we need to identify the source(s) of that misinformation and correct it.

So, again, can you please tell us who "told" you what you claim you were told. Thank you.
I'm working with some developers who are designing a new site for me. I'm moderately familiar with joomla but really only as it pertains to the old site we developed many years ago that this new site is replacing. We're installing Kunena, but the issue was with registration, not the forum as I thought. I'm expecting the site registration will be enough for the Kunena component as well.

I'm also pretty sure it's possible to send a confirmation email with standard registration, so I don't know where the confusion is with them. I suspect it's a language barrier issue because they were talking about custom programming to solve this or otherwise using a captcha to prevent spammers from registering (hence my comment about spam).

Am I right that the Mail Settings section under Global Configuration is the proper section to enable/disable an account creation confirmation email?

Do you find this account confirmation email is typically enough to dissuade spammers?

Would you otherwise be able to provide pointers to documentation on preventing spammers from creating an account, and confirmation email specifically?

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:05 pm

Please, next time you write that "someone told you" something, please quote your sources. OK? Basically you were given nonsense advice. Kunena does not have a separate account creation procedure; it uses the whatever procedure you define within Joomla. It has always worked this way.

As far as general advice about protecting your website from spam registration is concerned (and about stopping spam in your forum, in particular, is concerned), have you searched the Internet? Honestly, enter "How to stop forum spam in Kunena" into Google: the information is all there.
Last edited by sozzled on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ggossamer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ggossamer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:08 pm

Thanks for your help. I should have written initially that I suspected it was not correct advice and the reason for my post.

ggossamer
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ggossamer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Okay, one more question. They are now telling me that joomla does not support confirmation emails by default. They are recommending we install "Registration Validation" extension. Is this capability not built-in to stock joomla?

Is this something Membership Pro provides?

I'm confused and have searched for documentation on this and haven't found anything authoritative.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:57 pm

ggossamer wrote:Okay, one more question. They are now telling me that joomla does not support confirmation emails by default. They are recommending we install "Registration Validation" extension. Is this capability not built-in to stock joomla?
Get someone else—someone who knows what they're talking about. Honestly, I've never heard of such nonsense. If you don't know (and if your contractors don't know) or understand about how to use Joomla's built-in registration processes then you're in trouble.

See https://www.cloudaccess.net/joomla-know ... a-3-0.html

Set New User Account Activation = Self in the Users Configuration.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”