current forums for joomla, comparison table

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Joomletto
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

current forums for joomla, comparison table

Post by Joomletto » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:56 am

Hi, could someone tell me if exist an updated comparison table between Kunena and phpBB?

Thanks in advance ;)
Last edited by toivo on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: topic locked as requested

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Kunena, comparison table

Post by gws » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:13 am

Joomletto
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Joomletto » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:37 am

Thank you for your link, it can be useful but it is not a comparison I wos looking for.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by AMurray » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:19 am

Joomletto wrote:Thank you for your link, it can be useful but it is not a comparison I was looking for.
It seems to be you're asking for a feature comparison between Kunena and PHPBB (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how your question is asked and interpreted). Your original question states:
joomletto wrote:Hi, could someone tell me if exist an updated comparison table between Kunena and phpBB?
Thanks in advance ;)
I don't know that a conversion from/to Kunena/PHPBB is what you were looking for ??? So not sure what @gws was pointing to if not just to the features of each forum.

What is an "updated comparison table", in the context of your question, if not a side-by-side comparison of features of each of those forums ???
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Joomletto
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Joomletto » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:51 am

I think everybody knows what is a table comparation of products, this is an [redacted/]easy example[/redacted] about cms. ;)

Like everybody knows what is buzz marketing. :D

Joomletto
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Joomla! phpBB and p8pBB

Post by Joomletto » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:07 pm

I'm a phpBB user and lover, I'm looking for testimonials have used p8pBB.

There is somebody can tell me something about their experiences whith this bridge?

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by gws » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Joomletto wrote:I think everybody knows what is a table comparation of products, this is an [redacted/]easy example[/redacted] about cms. ;)

Like everybody knows what is buzz marketing. :D
What exactly does this have to do with Kunea and PhpBB?

Joomletto
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Joomletto » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Just compare.

Slackervaara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Slackervaara » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:49 pm

I have recently converted from phpBB 3.0.14 to Kunena with a conversion script free of charge. Most members of the site were positive. Main complaint was it was more difficult to search posts in Kunena and that phpBB3 had a nicer look. But some liked crypsis template of Kunena better. One advantage was that phpbb-posts that took 700 MB was only 400 MB in Kunena. Kunena is faster than phpBB3 and is cacheed for guests in JotCache. Login is also simpler and more reliable with Kunena. If you want a local copy of your site on your PC then Kunena is best. I had a lot of hassle to make a local copy with JFusion-phpBB3.

http://www.viska.se/nya-lakemedel/nyhet ... nena-forum

Slackervaara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Joomla! phpBB and p8pBB

Post by Slackervaara » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:53 pm

I would not use a bridge today. I would check if its possible to convert phpBB 3 to Kunena with a free script. If you are lucky it would take only a couple of hours.
http://www.viska.se/nya-lakemedel/nyhet ... nena-forum

Joomletto
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Joomletto » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:58 pm

Slackervaara wrote:I would not use a bridge today.
Why?
Slackervaara wrote:If you are lucky it would take only a couple of hours.
What about if I will not so luky?

Slackervaara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Slackervaara » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:28 pm

A bridge can cause troubles with log in and have bugs. In addition phpBB3 is complex and difficult to administer and upgrade. When I used JFusion it very difficult to set up a local copy of the site with Xampp. In addition your forumposts will have userid of phpBB 3 and not Joomla if you use a bridge. The free bridge JFusion is not available anylonger and p8pBB is rather expensive, so it can also be abandoned like JFusion.

It is easy to make a test conversion on your PC with xampp. The conversion takes one hour max with toad and if it fails your site is not harmed because its a local copy.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: current forums for joomla, comparison table

Post by mandville » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:21 pm

moderators comment
i have merged and retitled your topics as they are the same thing. i have also redacted the url in your 2buzz marketing" post. The link provided no back up to your original post on the more related "current forums for joomla, comparison table" please refrain from xposting and posting un related links.
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Slackervaara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Slackervaara » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:30 pm

I should add that Kunena 5.0.14 is mobile responsive, so if you use Kunena you dont have to add any mobile support for it. Will work directly from the box.

Joomletto
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Joomletto » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:56 pm

Thank you for your informations, you have got an e-mail.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:28 pm

It is impossible, in a few short sentences on an internet discussion forum like this one, to work through all the issues that this topic covers. I will not waste people's time by writing a two-thousand word essay on some of the obvious differences between various forum products that people can choose from to integrate with their Joomla websites. I would make three points:

1) In relation to the OP, I am unaware of any comparison table that exists that highlights the differences between Kunena and phpBB. If such a table exists I should be grateful if someone can point me to it. Because I am unaware of an existing comparison table, I don't know how to address the question as to whether such a table has been updated.

2) There is an abundance of literature on the internet, not to mention user reviews in the JED, that speak about people's experiences with different forum products available for Joomla. I, myself, have written thousands of words about various Joomla forum products (including personal observations and experiences I have with them).

3) Irrespective of whatever forum product people may choose—they may choose one over another because of ease-of-integration, reliability, robustness, durability, level of support, ease-of-use, documentation, security, etc.—the primary purpose of a forum is to grow a website's content without the site owner having to do all the hard work themselves. Some products are evidently better than other products when compared from an operational and administration perspective. Whatever reasons people choose to use a forum product, the final decision rests with the site owner and the purpose for which the forum is required on that website.

Lastly, my reputation in appraising forum products is well known. I have removed my forum signature from this post (and any possible future posts I may make on this topic) in order to present my opinions in an unbiased and non-prejudicial way.

Cheers 8)

Joomletto
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Joomletto » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Thank you sozzled for your answer an your time.
I have read many things you have written about forum and Kunena in particular.

It could be interesting to know your point of view about the only first 10 most important strength of Kunena compared with phpBB.
Ok we know Kunena is a Joomla's extension and it need it for works, phpBB is a sand alone application, pro e cons for both. After that?

Slackervaara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Slackervaara » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:36 pm

One thing I feared by changing to Kunena was a lot of 404 errors as I had 660 000 posts. But I changed forumfolder from forum or phpBB3 to kunena. Then I made a hidden menu item for phpBB3 and forum with nofollow. It means that robots does not visit the wrong links anylonger. In addition I used the redirects suggested when changing from phpBB3 to Kunena. Now I have in Google maybe 30 404-errors per day. Not much for a such big change.

Joomletto
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Joomletto » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:05 am

Thank you Slackervaara, for your answers and your help. :)

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:32 am

Joomletto wrote:It could be interesting to know your point of view about the only first 10 most important strength of Kunena compared with phpBB.
It would be interesting to know your point of view on the most important strengths that you're looking for in a forum component to use with your Joomla website. After that, it might be possible to comment on what are the main benefits of using one forum product vs. another product. :)

Joomletto
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Joomletto » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:37 am

sozzled wrote:
Joomletto wrote:It could be interesting to know your point of view about the only first 10 most important strength of Kunena compared with phpBB.
It would be interesting to know your point of view on the most important strengths that you're looking for in a forum component to use with your Joomla website. After that, it might be possible to comment on what are the main benefits of using one forum product vs. another product. :)
Oh my God! I can't believe, answer a question with another question. >:(
Is it means you don't know any one important strenght of Kunena compared with phpBB!? :eek:

I can't believe something like that by the best buzz marketer of Kunena I meet on the web. ;)

About my experience with forums is about 20 year of esperience like user with many different software, my prefered has been always phpBB, because is essential, intuitive and has got everything you need in a forum.
I like Vbulletin and IPB too but non like phpBB.

From administrator side phpBB looks like an old software project, I find it not intuitive and complicated, of course after you learned averythings become more easy. Few experiences like administrator in the last 5 years.

On my point of view phpBB has got two weaknesses:

1) complicated administration interface, could be much more intuitive, easy and modern;

2) difficoult to integration with Joomla!

Conclusions, the most important strengths I consider in a forum component, are:

1) easy administration interface;

2) works perfectly without bugs;

3) wide communuity of administrator/expert, in my country, can help me when I need it, possibly in my language;

4) easelly interface/connect with CMS;

5) free software;

6) wide choice of plugin;

7) wide choice of template;

last but not list, buzz marketer with answers and non only questions :D

Slackervaara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Slackervaara » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Kunena is OK for most 1-5 compared with phpBB3 and is easier to upgrade. A very good newbie forum. What is better for phpBB3 is plugins, templates and documentation. But Kunena is newer and might improve slowly. But I am very pleased with Kunena after a month and I dont regret I changed. It can be problems in future with p8pBB bridge as probably fewer and fewer will use it. Most people dont know you can convert phpBB3 to Kunena.

Joomletto
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Joomletto » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:18 pm

Slackervaara wrote:Kunena is easier to upgrade.
(...)
I am very pleased with Kunena after a month and I dont regret I changed.
(...)
Most people dont know you can convert phpBB3 to Kunena.
Hello Slackervara, I forget an important point, the complicated upgrade of phpBB, much better if Kunena is more easy.

Did you migrate to Kunena just a month ago?

About phpBB administrators, not all of theme use Joomla!
I think a lot of Joomla! and phpBB administrator know this possibility.

May be Kunena need some more buzz marketer on the Joomla! forums around the world.
Then are important other two things:

1) good sevices for migrations (like your ;) )

2) some more Kunena communities in each country, can help the users.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Joomletto wrote:Oh my God! I can't believe, answer a question with another question. >:(
Is it means you don't know any one important strenght of Kunena compared with phpBB!? :eek:
No, this does not mean that I don't have an opinon one way or the other. I asked you a question (just like you asked me questions) so that I could learn from you what it is that you want to know. That was the only reason.

We all have different experiences with internet discussion forums—as users and as administrators—and I've used forums since the beginning of the internet ... since 1985.

When it comes to choosing one forum product over another, I have a number of requirements. Above all else, I want to be able to own the content; in other words, I don't want to be at the whim of a "forum service" that hosts my forum(s) and doesn't allow me to access the raw data. Further, I don't want to be left high-and-dry without a forum in the event that the forum service becomes unavailable for some reason.

There are many different forum products available for Joomla. For example, there's Chronoforums, EasyDiscuss, CJForum, phpBB3, Kunena ... among others. Some of these products are actively maintained, they have different groups of people who work on them, they each have their advantages and their disadvantages.

In the final analysis, the choice between different forum products is personal in each situation. Perhaps the best (or only) way to decide which product is the "right" one is to experiment. Put the different offerings to a business focus group, allow the participants to share their opinions, and put the alternatives to the vote. That's what I would do (and what I have done in the past).

Administration: Forum products are some of the most complex web-based applications you will find. They usually require thousands of lines of code in order to manage forum moderation, user profiling, the "user experience" [UX] and how people interact with one another. While forum administration is important, each product approaches this area differently. Some products are more intuitive to use than others while, in most cases, they usually require background reading of FAQs or "instructions for administrators" in order to get the best results. If all forum products were completely, intuitively, self-managing then there would be no need for forums where people discuss administration-related issues or to ask questions and seek assistance with forum administration problems.

Whether a forum looks "modern" or not is purely subjective. In any case, how a forum product appears on the screen is usually within the control of the person who's hosting the forum on their website. Anyway, if you don't like whether a forum looks modern, it's not that difficult to change to a different product (or use a different "forum template") to change it. It's just window-dressing.

The functionality—how the administrator is able to get to the part of the system to manage the forum—is important; in my opion, it's not important whether it looks "modern" or not.

Integration with Joomla [CMS]: Some products integrate better with Joomla than other products. Certainly, products that were designed from the ground up to work with Joomla are easier to use with Joomla websites than standalone forum products that require bridging software.

Works perfectly without bugs: Show me any software (that has 50,000+ lines of code) that works perfectly without bugs and I'll buy you a beer! That's one reason why software projects have forums on their websites!

Wide community of experts in my country, who can assist me in my language: Yeah, right! :laugh: I wish there was a wide community of experts who live in Australia who could help me with (a) this forum that we're using now and (b) with Joomla! in general.

Free software: You get what you pay for.

Wide range of plugins/extensions/templates: Because phpBB has been around for a very long time, I suspect there are more extensions and templates for this than there are with alternatives. I don't know. I haven't done the research.

Migration from one forum to another: Depends on what you want to migrate and the value to your business if you want to keep discussions that date back a decade or more. Sometimes it's easier to archive the old forum—place a signpost on your site to show visitors where they can access old forum topics—and start a new forum with a different product. Some forum products are "easier" to migrate between alternative products than others. There's no consensus here. Everyone will have (or has had) different experiences in this area.

It doesn't matter what I personally think about forum alternatives for Joomla. If you had a room full of people who've used different forum products and asked them "Which forum is better ... and why?", they'll all have different opinions and for different reasons. I'm just one person among several million Joomla users and my opinions will be different to everyone else.

I hope this addresses your needs. 8)

Joomletto
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Joomletto » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 am

Thank you sozzled for your explenations, I appreciate it.

But... the original question didn't find any answers :(

I repeat: It could be interesting to know your point of view about the only first 10 most important strength of Kunena compared with phpBB.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:03 am

Personally I think this topic has gone round on circles enough. Sozzled can't really give you his comparison as he hasn't used them all..
As for now asking for his top10 reasons make you sound like your gathering for a blog post or outbrain click bait.
Perhaps the original question doesn't have answers unless you in your experience for your situation provide them
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Joomletto
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Joomletto » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:23 pm

I see... I wasn't speaking about all, just two phpBB and Kunena, that's all.

If somebody knows well both, it could be very easy to find out these 10 strenght, if they exist, of course.

I can understand if they doesn't exsist, because phpBB has got duble age of Kunena and it means a lot.

Slackervaara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Slackervaara » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:29 pm

In this thread someone is talking about continue the development of JFusion with a fork. His talking about hire people for that. But I have not heard about any fork yet:
https://github.com/jfusion/org.jfusion. ... /issues/18

Joomletto
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Joomletto » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Interesting but... on my point of view phpBB ought to develop and update the bridges for the most important CMS like Joomla!

Slackervaara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Slackervaara » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:26 pm

I agree with you, without a free bridge they will loose users.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”