Advice about extension to create form+gallery

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ARow
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Advice about extension to create form+gallery

Post by ARow » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 am

Hi! I'm creating a Joomla site as a college project, and I'm quite lost (especially since I study Biology. Don't ask me how did I end trying to make a web site, but we start from the premise that I know literally nothing about anything u.u).

Here is the thing: the goal is to create a site where users can upload pictures of organisms they have seen (say, their dog), and classify them taxonomically. Therefore, I need to create a form that asks them to upload a file and then gives them options to sort it (like: Kingdom: Animalia > Fillum: Chordata > Class: Mammalia > Order: Carnivora > Family: Canidae > Genus: Canis > Species: Familiaris). Every choice should lead to a new set of options (if you choose "Animalia", it should show you the different fillum in that kingdom).

Now, problems. I've been trying to do this with Fabrik and Visforms. The former is giving me trouble with the picture uploading, and doesn't really display the entries. And the second doesn't allow to add an "Add buttom" to the form.

So, I'm asking for an extension that would allow me to create a form, where users can add choices (because adding all the species that exist in advance is plainly impossible) and that will allow to upload images. And free xDD

I know it's a lot to ask, saying that that extension doesn't exist is a good answer, too hahaha. I am open to any other ideas about it.

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Advice about extension to create form+gallery

Post by gws » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Fabrik should be able to handle that with no problems,I know it has a steep learning curve (their forums are good for help), otherwise Breezing forms is a good option but I think you will need the paid for version to achieve what you want.

ARow
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ARow » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:25 am

Thank you for answering :)

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 am

https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... omgallery/
  • Create a test site and add a few test users in different (existing) user groups)
  • Upload some images
  • Use different browsers to login (and non logged in) and view the front end.

Use pen and paper to plan what Categories and user groups you need before setting the site up for real. Having a clear idea of Categories and user groups (before starting the real site) is essential. Template is the last thing to sort out ... don't make the newbie mistake of thinking the Template is the site.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”