Wikipedia API available?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
johnnybiggles
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Wikipedia API available?

Post by johnnybiggles » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:13 pm

Is there an extension that uses an API or something with Wikipedia that pulls information directly from pages on the site and maintains or highlights updates to them? Bonus, in a customized format? I'm looking to grab details for a few topics and have discussion and/or article areas but it would be a lot easier to just pull details directly from specific pages within Wikipedia to avoid having to go back and constantly update my own pages when they change. Does this exist?

Slackervaara
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Wikipedia API available?

Post by Slackervaara » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:09 pm

There is the menu item Embedded frame, where you can put one Wikipedia page, very easy to fix.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:55 pm

johnnybiggles
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnnybiggles » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:16 pm

Slackervaara wrote:There is the menu item Embedded frame, where you can put one Wikipedia page, very easy to fix.
Not sure I understand. Are you saying I can embed the Wikipedia page through a menu item I can place on my site page? If so, how is this done?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:30 am

Slackervaara wrote:There is the menu item Embedded frame, where you can put one Wikipedia page, very easy to fix.
The Menu Item type is called "Wrapper".

The extension I linked to, is a Content Plugin. Handy if you want to embed Wiki inside articles.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:46 am

johnnybiggles wrote:Is there an extension that uses an API or something with Wikipedia that pulls information directly from pages on the site and maintains or highlights updates to them?
I'm not sure if this answers the question: I don't know how to take content from a Joomla website and pull it into mediaWiki (or Wikipedia, specifically) but there are ways to control who can author mediaWiki content on a website that's associated with, or linked to, a Joomla website: see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AuthJoomla2

Is that what you're referring to?
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

johnnybiggles
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by johnnybiggles » Sat May 05, 2018 8:36 pm

sozzled wrote:
johnnybiggles wrote:Is there an extension that uses an API or something with Wikipedia that pulls information directly from pages on the site and maintains or highlights updates to them?
I'm not sure if this answers the question: I don't know how to take content from a Joomla website and pull it into mediaWiki (or Wikipedia, specifically) but there are ways to control who can author mediaWiki content on a website that's associated with, or linked to, a Joomla website: see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AuthJoomla2

Is that what you're referring to?
I don't want to take content from my Joomla website and send it to mediaWiki page... I want to do the opposite: I'm interested in one particular topic relevant to my site, maybe other topics, and, rather than linking to it from my site, I want the Wikipedia page for it embedded in my site and to display on my site... with the added bonus, if available, of being able to format the display of that Wikipedia page displayed on my site to only show or exclude certain things. For example, exclude the infobox (containing current details such as title and age and years in an office, or something like that) that's usually seen on the right side of many Wikipedia pages, and/or include the table of contents it has on the page. I don't want my own wiki - I want a Wikipedia page that matches the one on Wikipedia without having to update it myself whenever changes are made to it on Wikipedia. Perhaps including a plugin code on a article or widget, or something, where you enter in brackets the URL of a Wikipedia page, and it retrieves that page and displays it on your website per the format arguments entered in the code such as "infobox=no" to hide the infobox.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Sat May 05, 2018 8:44 pm

johnnybiggles wrote:I want [a] Wikipedia page ... embedded in my site.
Then use the Joomla "wrapper" menu item.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”