The Site Admin stopped to getting email Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
shih789
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

The Site Admin stopped to getting email

Post by shih789 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:30 am

I am using a extension called AltaUserPoint. It allows users to redeem the user points to cash by Paypal.
After user requests money, It will send the site admin an email right away. However, as a site admin, I either sometimes get the email after 10 hours since user requested, or didn't get the email forever.

I worked with the customer support for a while but didn't see any clue. I am wondering if anything wrong with my email setting at site.

First, I want to see the Site Admin email but even can't find where it is. Is the email of Site Admin just the email of first SuperUser? Because at the Global Configuration, at the server tab I saw a email but it is a strange email address which act as a system email sending automated emails to users. It seems not a address of Site Admin.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: The Site Admin stopped to getting email

Post by toivo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:34 am

There is no one specific email address for Site Admin. Many websites have one dedicated user in the user group Supers Users, but Joomla sends system emails only to users whose account has the option 'Receive System Emails' set to 'Yes'. Some extensions follow the same practice, but other extensions may allow you to select who receives the emails sent by the extension.

Is the email domain of this 'strange email address' the same as the domain from the URL of your website, or something completely different?
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

shih789
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shih789 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:54 am

>Is the email domain of this 'strange email address' the same as the domain from the URL of your website, or something completely different?

It's something completely different.
Last edited by toivo on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: cross posting not allowed, the duplicate post removed

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:27 pm

If you have full access to the mailbox behind this 'strange email address', can you see from its Sent folder, if those missing emails have been sent and where they were sent?

If you do not have full access to that mailbox, you need to talk to your host or to the system administrator who configured the server settings in Joomla.

Bdizz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bdizz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:56 am

If the email domain of the 'strange email address' has a different domain from the website, this might be the issue. You may need to change this to have the same domain as your site (your email may be blacklisting it as it looks spammy as an email coming from a website that has a differing domain). I'd recommend researching SMTP and looking into that/your mail servers also.

shih789
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shih789 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:42 am

OK, After I changed the Mail Setting at Global Configuration of my site, it was "[email protected]" and I changed it to a email which I have access to. The problem solved! Though Gmail warns me of the security of that email when I received it.

But still not sure why I got this email address "[email protected]" installed in my joomla site from the beginning. I contact my host asking if they did it for hiding the real email of Site Admin, but they said NO. Does anyone have any idea of that strange email address? Where does it come from?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:51 am

Did you or your host happen to install Joomla using Installatron's automatic installation tool?

The support forum always recommends that Joomla is installed by downloading the latest version from https://downloads.joomla.org.

shih789
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: The Site Admin stopped getting email

Post by shih789 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:25 am

Yes, it's Godaddy. I installed Joomla when I purchased the host service with Godday. It was just one-click to get joomla installed. I think it uses the automatic installation tool.

Do you know the reasons why it recommends to download joomla from joomla.org by yourself?

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:32 am

"Do you know the reasons why it recommends to download joomla from joomla.org by yourself?"
Yes many automatic installation scripts cause errors, as you have found out for yourself.
FYI many of the problems on these forums relate to godaddy, more often called Godaddy here.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”