Error message when login to Admin after Quix uninstalled

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Error message when login to Admin after Quix uninstalled

Post by IndianRM » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:53 am

Hope someone can help me. I bought Quix over the weekend. It had problems loading...actually most of the time simply would not load, support doesn't seem to exist there, so now I'm plugging away in RS Page Builder. So I deleted Quix by going to Extensions/Manage/Manage/ and then I put a check next to everything that had "Quix" in it (7 or 8 lines) and then clicked uninstall. Got a "success" screen so thought I was good. But now when I log into my admin page, I get the error shown in the screenshot. Can someone tell me what I can do to fix this? My web site (just starting) is http://ridingamerican.com/ if that is needed.
Screenshot_2018-11-18 Error 0 Call to a member function generateState() on boolean.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by toivo on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved to Extensions, retitled

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Error message when login to Admin

Post by Webdongle » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:06 am

Can you navigate to Components >>> Joomla >>>? If you can then check for updates and reinstall core files.

If that doesn't work then in the 'upload and update' tab ... Upload and install the Joomla update package.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:18 am

Webdongle wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:06 am
Can you navigate to Components >>> Joomla >>>? If you can then check for updates and reinstall core files.

If that doesn't work then in the 'upload and update' tab ... Upload and install the Joomla update package.
Thanks for the reply! I tried the first one. Got the screen below and clicked on reinstall core files. looked like it was working then I got an
Error:
Ajax Loading error
Internal Server Error.
I'll try your 2nd recommendation now.
Screenshot_2018-11-18 Joomla Update - Riding American - Administration.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:27 am

Ok, I tried your second option several times and I get the same Ajax error message for that one too.

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:43 am

IndianRM wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:27 am
Ok, I tried your second option several times and I get the same Ajax error message for that one too.
Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but in the pic below of the "toolbar" in my Admin, what shows as "COM-QUIX" used to be simply "QUIX" before I uninstalled Quix...and it was not there at all before Quix. The toolbar ended at "Help" before I installed Quix. I've got to say as a hopeful warning to other new people to Joomla, Quix has been a real nightmare. I spent the better part of this weekend on it, never could get it to do what they said it would, then deleted it to finally be done with it and now it appears to have messed up something on my server. I definitely wish I had never run across Quix.
Screenshot_2018-11-18 Error 0 Call to a member function generateState() on boolean.png

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Error message when login to Admin after Quix uninstalled

Post by Webdongle » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:36 am

It has not uninstalled completely

Extensions >>> Manage >>> Manage ... order ID descending ... should show the last installed extensions.

You can manually remove it. Make a backup (files and database) then delete the files belonging to it and remove the database files. If reinstalling core files doesn't work after that ... use the Joomla full package and upload all except the /installation folder.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:09 pm

It appears that it made a menu. Go to Menu Manager and switch filter to Administrator. You shall then be able to delete the menu entries.

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:50 am

Webdongle wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:36 am
It has not uninstalled completely

Extensions >>> Manage >>> Manage ... order ID descending ... should show the last installed extensions.

You can manually remove it. Make a backup (files and database) then delete the files belonging to it and remove the database files. If reinstalling core files doesn't work after that ... use the Joomla full package and upload all except the /installation folder.
Thank you very much Webdongle! I did what you said on the first line and, sure enough, there were 3 more Quix items there. Deleted them and right away the COM_QUIX disappeared. Logged out of Admin, logged back in, and everything is back to normal on the main screen!
Screenshot_2018-11-19 Control Panel - Riding American - Administration.png
I was hesitant to go further as that was finally fixed, but I followed your kind instructions and clicked on database and got this screen:
Screenshot_2018-11-19 Extensions Database - Riding American - Administration.png
I clicked the "FIX" as I couldn't find a way to delete any database files...unless I went to the wrong place? Are there supposed to be some files show there? But the main screen in Admin is indeed back to normal so if I should not proceed further, I won't.

I should add that my Host provides me with cPanel 74.0.10 in case that helps and there is an option in there to do something. Also, I have now gone in cPanel and set my Joomla install in a daily backup for now. that way if things get mucked up again, I'll just reinstall the one from the day before.

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:14 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:09 pm
It appears that it made a menu. Go to Menu Manager and switch filter to Administrator. You shall then be able to delete the menu entries.
Hello again Yngve! Thanks for your input. Please see me reply to Webdongle above. Besides the good news there, I did go to Menus then clicked on Manage and got this:
Screenshot_2018-11-19 Error 500 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL serve[...].png
The odd thing is that every thing else in the Menus options works fine...
- Menus / Manage (hover over it) /Add New Menu
- All Menu Items
- Kunena Menu
- Main Menu

They all work fine and bring up the correct screen. Only when I click on Menus then Manage do I get that error.

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:21 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:09 pm
I did got to Menus / Main Menu / then changed "Site" to "Admin" in the first box and got this:
Screenshot_2018-11-19 Menus All Menu Items - Riding American - Administration.png

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:36 am

My comments about removing it from the database were to use phpMyAdmin (in your Host's CP). But that was if you could not remove it using Extensions >>> Manage >>> Manage. However you have uninstalled it so no need to edit the database.

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:36 am
My comments about removing it from the database were to use phpMyAdmin (in your Host's CP). But that was if you could not remove it using Extensions >>> Manage >>> Manage. However you have uninstalled it so no need to edit the database.
Thanks very much for the help with that webdongle. I was Very glad to get that resolved. Can you offer any advice on the error 500 I took a screenshot of and included in the post above? I’ve done some reading this afternoon on my SQL and, to be honest, SQL syntax seems to be a good bit over my head. After just getting a big problem fixed, thanks to your help, I certainly don’t want to go in to the database and start making changes and then get something screwed up beyond repair. I’ve gone into my SQL and see “line 3” and it says nothing about “group by” or “menu type”. Any chance you can tell me where I go to in MySQL and what change I have to make...based on what it says in that error message above? I want to get everything right again, then do a manual backup, and then anymore problems I’ll just restore my latest daily backup and go on from there.

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:44 pm

Forgot to mention:
MySQL is sever version 5.6.41 and protocol version 10.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:11 pm

First removing a record in a database does not require code (it can be done with code but not just that way). It is simply finding the record, selecting it and 'Drop' (delete) it.

But more importantly ... now you have used Extensions >>> Manage >>> Manage to uninstall the extension then you SHOULDN'T need to edit the database

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:55 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:11 pm
First removing a record in a database does not require code (it can be done with code but not just that way). It is simply finding the record, selecting it and 'Drop' (delete) it.

But more importantly ... now you have used Extensions >>> Manage >>> Manage to uninstall the extension then you SHOULDN'T need to edit the database

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I understand completely that I don't have to touch the database because I deleted Quix by Extensions >>> Manage >>> Manage. The Quix removal is resolved and done with. Thank you for your help with that.

Totally separate from that...and I only found this last night due to the suggestion from Yvgne...when I go to Menus and then click Manage, I get this error message:
Screenshot_2018-11-20 Error 500 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL serve[...].png
Not sure what caused it, may or may not be related to Quix. I'm just not sure what "Line 3" to go after and what to change in the syntax ') GROUP BY m.menutype' . I don't want to muck things up all over again, after all your good advice, by editing something in MySQL and undo the fix you already provided.

I spent some time on your website today and bookmarked it to keep for future reference. You certainly know your stuff and I thought maybe you might know what to do here. Thanks for any help you can provide. This is the one last issue I have and I'm good to go.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:12 am

Components >>> Joomla >>> then check for updates and reinstall core files.

Or use the Joomla full package upload all (except /installation folder).

Extensions Manage >>> Discover.

Try that.

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:28 am

Webdongle wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:12 am
Components >>> Joomla >>> then check for updates and reinstall core files.

Or use the Joomla full package upload all (except /installation folder).

Extensions Manage >>> Discover.

Try that.
Ok, I just tried the first 2. Got that same Ajax loading error on both. I'll go ahead and do the full package upload, except /installation folder, but I wanted to verify one thing....this is probably a stupid question...but the Joomla installation on the domain I'm working on is a clone from another domain I have (got 1 domain, a week later found a better one was available, got that one, had my host clone Joomla from the other domain to new domain) and I wanted to make sure that, due to it being a clone, that it will still be OK to do the full package one?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:31 am

All uploading the files from the full package does is make sure the Joomla files are correct.

All the files do is put/get the data to/from the database and display it on the screen.

Your site is in the database not in the files.

If that doesn't fix it there are other things to try. But it could be a server setting.

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:56 am

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Better to be safe than sorry!

I just did the full, after deleting the Installation folder, and got the same Ajax message.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:45 am

This is going to sound complicated but it realy is quite easy and just needs to be methodical.

1. Test the site on localhost test environment.
If No Avail
2. Use the files from a fresh install to rule out interference from rouge 3rd party files.
3. Rebuild Joomla and 3rd party files and connect to the original database.

Create a test environment wamp for PC (mamp for mac).
Create a folder in the /www folder
Copy your site to the test environment new folder.
If it works then the server is the problem

If not then
Create another folder in the /www folder
Install a fresh Joomla in the second new folder and new database.
Edit the configuration.php (of the fresh install) to connect to the original database
(on localhost you just need to edit the table prefix).

If that works re-edit the configuration.php to connect to the fresh install.
Install your 3rd party extensions.
You now have fresh Joomla and 3rd party files ... all you need to do is edit the configuration.php to connect to the original database (again).

See https://docs.joomla.org/Copying_a_Joomla_website for copying a site (Akeeba). On localhost the install auto creates the database.

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:08 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:45 am
This is going to sound complicated but it realy is quite easy and just needs to be methodical.

See https://docs.joomla.org/Copying_a_Joomla_website for copying a site (Akeeba). On localhost the install auto creates the database.
Wow! Thanks a ton for that Webdongle. Deeply appreciated sir. You're right...it does indeed sound complicated. But I'll do everything very carefully. Big Thanksgiving holiday today here in the US so I might not get a chance to do this until tomorrow...but I'll get to it first chance I get. In the mean time, I'll get Akeeba so I have that taking care of things.

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:58 am

IndianRM wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:08 pm
Wow! Thanks a ton for that Webdongle. Deeply appreciated sir. You're right...it does indeed sound complicated. But I'll do everything very carefully. Big Thanksgiving holiday today here in the US so I might not get a chance to do this until tomorrow...but I'll get to it first chance I get. In the mean time, I'll get Akeeba so I have that taking care of things.
Quick update...had a 4 day weekend going on last weekend so ended up taking a break from the site. Got back to this a few days ago. Figured I'd contact my Host and see if the problem was on the server, before diving into the detailed steps above...thanks very much for that Webdongle. Very appreciative of the detail you provided! One solution was that it may be on the server so I figured I'd eliminate that before doing anything.

In any case, went back & forth with them trying several different things and also cleaning some things up. They tried, but end result was nothing accomplished. Disappointing, but did eliminate the server being where the problem was. That was yesterday when we got done with that. More to follow.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:32 am

1. Using Akeeba to move the site to localhost would have ruled out a server problem in 5-10 mins. If the copy on localhost doesn't work then it's the site not the server.

2. Installing a fresh Joomla on on localhost takes about 5 mins and editing the configuration.php with the original database table prefix ... open up both configuration.php's and copy paste (a few seconds). If it works then the problem is with the original sites files.

3. Undoing the edit to the fresh install's configuration ( a few seconds). Then 20-30 mins to download and install the 3rd party extensions to the fresh install. Once you have the fresh Joomla an 3rd party files ... a few seconds to edit the configuration.php (of the fresh install) to connect to the original database.

The whole process should take you between 30 mins to an hour (depending on how many 3rd party extensions you have).

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:43 am

Webdongle wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:32 am
The whole process should take you between 30 mins to an hour (depending on how many 3rd party extensions you have).
Well, you had assumed the correct assumption Webdongle! I thought for sure it was at least several hours of work and was trying to find the time to do it all at once as I didn't want to get halfway through it and have to put it on hold and come back. I would have had it done last weekend had I not assumed wrongly.

As luck would have it, I ran across an old friend yesterday who does this kind of stuff and he dove into my core files and found the problem. Took him about 3 hours of hunting around though so it was deep I guess. But I am indeed all good there now and all is finally back to normal. Thanks very much for your help with this. I learned a good bit and will hopefully be able to apply that down the road.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:53 pm

3 hours 'cherry picking' the rouge file(s) versus 1 hour to create fresh up to date files ... hmmm.

Hope he found all of them.

IndianRM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by IndianRM » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:23 pm

Webdongle wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:53 pm
3 hours 'cherry picking' the rouge file(s) versus 1 hour to create fresh up to date files ... hmmm.

Hope he found all of them.
Of course he found them all. Why wouldn’t he? He’s a professional. He does great work…I’m sure you do too.

Look, your estimate of 30 to 60 minutes is ambitious at best... and considering someone who is very familiar with Joomla and Databases, like yourself, doing it. There is no way I would’ve gotten that done in less than a couple hours, at best. I would have to check and doublecheck everything I did before and after I did it. That’s just me and I was going to be thorough.

Not to mention the fact that moving everything around so much gives every opportunity for errors all by itself. Given the choice, I would much rather… each & every time…leave everything where it is and get the work done in the files where they sit, Versus moving things around for experimentation. That’s the better choice in MY opinion. Everyone works differently. I really don’t care if it would’ve taken 6 hours versus 3 hours. I still prefer leaving things alone as much as possible, going directly to the problem, and once it’s found, fixing it and being done. That is what happened in this case. Everything is working perfectly again. I do appreciate your efforts on this but please realize you were talking many, many steps being taken for someone who never even heard of Joomla until 3 weeks ago.

All is good now and I can proceed with finishing my site this weekend if no problems arise. Mine is going to be a simple little site and I just wanted to get on with it and get it done. Thanks for your opinion.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:02 pm

IndianRM wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:23 pm
Of course he found them all. Why wouldn’t he? He’s a professional....
No matter how professional someone is they can only find what they see.

IndianRM wrote:
... your estimate of 30 to 60 minutes is ambitious at best... and considering someone who is very familiar with Joomla and Databases, like yourself, doing it. There is no way I would’ve gotten that done in less than a couple hours, at best. I would have to check and doublecheck everything I did before and after I did it. ...
Install Joomla
edit a small piece of characters
Download and install the 3rd party extensions
Those are the only skills needed and I am sure you have done those things before. If not you then your professional would have.

IndianRM wrote:
All is good now and I can proceed with finishing my site this weekend if no problems arise. ...
Glad you got it fixed and if you have any more problems you can always start another thread.

sozzled
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by sozzled » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:03 pm

I've been following this discussion for the past couple of weeks and I've become sadder with each update as the discussion progressed (until I see that the matter was eventually resolved after considerable cost in time to investigate the matter).

With no disrespect to the OP, the problems began because of installing Quix—a product with which I am unfamiliar. Well, if people like these kinds of "pagebuilder" things, I should refrain from offering an opinion other than to say "be careful what you wish for."

The first law of website design is planning. Get a couple of pieces of paper: list the features that your website needs (e.g. do you want people to login to the site, do you want people to contact you, do you want to manage all of the content yourself or will others grow the site content, etc.) and sketch a rough design of how you would like the site to appear in general terms. Even so, the most important part of the planning process is to protect yourself against your own worst enemy, viz. "fumble-fingers".

You don't have to be a genius or a "pro" to install Joomla on a webhost in less than 10 minutes, login to the site and install the number one protection: Akeeba Backup. I've even made a video of the process. After doing that, you can make as many mistakes as you like and you can restore things the way they were before "fumble-fingers" get in the way! :p

Anyway ... as I wrote, I don't know anything about Quix or whether it improves website content development or whether it saves time. From the looks of things, it's not been a pleasant experience for one person at least. Even so, people are often looking for short-cuts and—I have to repeat—there's no "short cutting" the planning process!

Having arrived at a situation where (after attempting to remediate problems with uninstalling a product that may have been unnecessary in the first place) the site was no longer usable, if I had been in this situation I would have cut my losses and spent the 20 minutes or so to delete the site (and the database) and use my ever-reliable Akeeba Backup file (which I'd thoughtfully placed on my PC for safe storage) and restored the site to the point before I'd made a meal of things. I realise that @Webdongle was trying to help but sometimes it's better to not make a bad thing worse by introducing concepts that lie outside most novices' ability to comprehend. That's all I want to say on the matter.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:39 pm

sozzled wrote:... but sometimes it's better to not make a bad thing worse by introducing concepts that lie outside most novices' ability to comprehend ...
Install Joomla
edit a small piece of characters
Download and install the 3rd party extensions
Is NOT beyond the novices comprehension because if it was then they would not be able to install Joomla in the first place.

But I do agree with you that sites need proper planning and Akeeba backups (on a regular basis) are a must.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”