Plugin for footnotes Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
palmarejo1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Plugin for footnotes

Post by palmarejo1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:13 pm

I have two sizeable but old Joomla websites on academic subjects. On them I have a plugin that uses {footnote}{/footnote} to identify footnotes and place them, numbered sequentially, at the end of the article. This is extremely useful and time-saving, especially when one revises a document and adds extra footnotes.

I now have started a new Joomla site (3.9) and cannot believe that such a facility no longer exists. However, I have been unable to find a compatible component.

Can anyone please help me. I am not a developer.

Thanks

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Plugin for footnotes

Post by toivo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:16 pm

The following plugin from 2008 looks like the one you were using on the old sites:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/footnotes/frs/

Try the attached quick conversion to support 3.x.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:58 pm

@toivo: You are a life-saver, mate! For years I've been adding footnotes manually, by hand! Of course I should've imagined that the process could be easily automated with a content plugin.

As far as I can tell, your doctored version of the original plugin works well with no compatibility issues as far as PHP 7 and J! 3.9 are concerned. The plugin passes the JED Checker for all practical purposes. Minor cosmetics aside ... piece of cake.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:15 pm

Cheers. I should resuscitate this extension properly on Github.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:16 pm

@Toivo
8)
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.0 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.1.0 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

KianWilliam
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by KianWilliam » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:32 am

Also keep in mind that many times when a simple extension(like footnote plugin) is not supportable, with few changes in original files you can make it supportable, like change of joomla version in manifest file(xml file),
using jed component to learn about deprecated methods and etc. You do not need to be a coder to be able to do that and there are simple tutorials that are able to lead you
Kian William

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 am

I've been experimenting with the basic plugin and it works (for the most part) but only for single articles. If the plugin shortcodes are used in the "intro text" in category blogs, the shortcodes are not activated. It's fairly straightforward to fix this by using the $context in the plugin. What I've done is to rewrite the plugin, fix a few of the issues in the original version and to add some additional features. :)

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”