Paid Video Views

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
wernejo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Paid Video Views

Post by wernejo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to set up a website where I can upload videos (either locally or externally to another hosting service) and have people pay a fee to view them. The videos are medical training videos that will go for half an hour. I'm also wanting to let people watch the 1st 3min of each video for free as it will contain an introduction that explains what the video is about. However, I think it would be easier to have the intro as a separate video that people can just watch for free.

Does anyone know of any websites or Joomla extensions that would let me do this?

Cheers!

KianWilliam
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Paid Video Views

Post by KianWilliam » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:43 am

Do you want registration with payment be in the same component in which uploads videos or it is ok if the tasks are separated? I mean users register and pay then redirected to video webpages after payment.
Kian William

wernejo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wernejo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:53 am

I'm happy for them to be separate but I'd like something that I can use to manage the users and the content like you do in a shopping cart.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:00 pm

A subscription system would be the logical way? Reviewing the following may help.

https://extensions.joomla.org/category/ ... criptions/

https://extensions.joomla.org/category/ ... downloads/
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

KianWilliam
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by KianWilliam » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:44 am

You may go this way:
With joomla core registeration form, add required fields (using fields or layout override[this way you may assign an option for regular registration to your joomla site too]) stuff to be needed from a user, then in menuitem redirect that form to your bank page and after payment redirect to the page that contains video file for viewing(When you register with a bank I believe they give you an option to return your customer back to the page you want by assigning the url), There are many extensions in joomla as component , module or plugin that allow to upload video files and watching them. if you use a plugin , you may use it in an article and design that article in your way. This is the way to separate payment and video stuff,
For my site I used a plugin to watch videos.
Kian William

wernejo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wernejo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:30 am

Thanks for the advice guys!

I've been reviewing the best way to do this and I think I've got it figured out... almost

Vimeo offers a paid service that lets you restrict access to your videos based on the URL that the videos are been viewed on. I can then embed the videos into articles and use a subscription system to control the access to the videos.

At this point, there will be about 10 videos, thus ten different articles. The tricky part is that I want to have the option of letting users pick how long they want to be able to have access and what videos they want to view.

For example, A uni student might only want access to videos 1,2, and 6 for the duration of their first year of study as only those videos are relevant to them. However, another student might need videos 2,6, and 9 for only 2 weeks while they study for exams. Or a teacher might want access to all of the videos so that they can show it to their students during classes.

So basically, I want users to be able to pick from different durations and select what videos they want to watch. I still want to be able to set up subscription packages for people who only want videos 1 to 3, 4 to 6, etc... but I want users to also pick what individual videos they want to access too.

The tricky part is having the option to easily add in more videos at a later date.

I'm currently looking at the extensions that are already on offer but wanted to post this here to keep everyone up to date. If anyone knows of an extension that would do this or knows of a good way to set this up, please let me know!

KianWilliam
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by KianWilliam » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:19 am

I used vimeo in my site and it works good, about the duration, it is a matter of developing a form with select input field with values of different years, a text box with number of videos comma separated, and id of that student and assign these data to a table and read the values of this table in the layout page, all achievable.
Kian William

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”