Username Only Login

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
wernejo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Username Only Login

Post by wernejo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:45 am

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a way to create a semi-restricted area on my website for medical students. I want users to be able to enter their student ID in order to gain access to the website but not require a pre-registered username and password. Because the student IDs change so often, I just want to have a system that will only let you in if the username/login ID has the right combination of letters and numbers.

For example, any student will be able to view content on the website if they type in any login ID that has two capital letters followed by six numbers (e.g MF594439 or HY334487)

I also want to be able to record these login details to see who has accessed the site and how often. The information isn't so much private, it's more to turn away the general public from this part of the website without having to make things too complicated.

I don't have access to any existing student information due to privacy policies. However, I don't want people having to register an account to view the information on the website.

Can anyone recommend a good extension for doing this or have any ideas about setting this up?

thanks for your help!

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Username Only Login

Post by AMurray » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:57 pm

I don't think you could do this easily without complicated custom coding.

The closest I can find is https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... assphrase/ but it seems this is one "passphrase" for all users, not unique passphrases (such as a student ID) for individuals. All other login methods seem to require a username or email, and a password, and requires registration on the website.

https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... atekeeper/ may help but it is NOT a substitute for a formal log-in credentials.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Username Only Login

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:32 pm

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”