How hide those five small circle below the vote stars (article voting) Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
iwecom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How hide those five small circle below the vote stars (article voting)

Post by iwecom » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:49 pm

Hello,

Please see attached,

What are these 5 small circles under the voting stars for?

1) What please could be a code adjustment to hide them, and the drop down menu of voting, and only show the voting stars?

2) How can I show the 5 stars at the bottom of the article instead of the top?
When I go into the plugin and change it to the bottom, it only moves the circles and drop down voting menu to the bottom of the article, but it leaves the stars at the top of the article.

Many thanks in advance,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CDXXonline
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: How hide those five small circle below the vote stars (article voting)

Post by CDXXonline » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Is that extravote?

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:11 pm

@CDXXonoline: I was thinking the same thing. If this is Extravote then it makes no sense to have two different voting systems used with Joomla articles. The "five circles" voting is the standard Joomla voting system; it can be disabled (or not used) for Joomla articles by changing the article options. The Extravote method uses AJAX to allow people to vote on articles. It makes no sense to have two different methods—different voting systems. One or the other.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
Former member of Kunena project team
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

CDXXonline
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CDXXonline » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:16 pm

What I was thinking too, didn't disable content - vote, or is possibly using something other than {mainvote} in article. I think the rest of their question can be answered by adjusting settings in the right plugin.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:23 pm

Documentation for Joomla article options: https://docs.joomla.org/Help39:Componen ... es_Options

These options may be overridden by the menu item, of course.

Extravote is a content plugin. It has its own settings. Extravote doesn't use a {mainvote} shortcode, as far as I know.
If you think I’m wrong then say “I think you're wrong.” If you say “You’re wrong!”, how do you know?

CDXXonline
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CDXXonline » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:30 pm

There may be other ways to display it, not sure. I use {mainvote} to embed it where i want it in the article.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:45 pm

@CDXXonline: I'm not sure about all the features of Extravote and I haven't tried using the shortcode to embed the voting feature within an article. We're making educated guesses here because we haven't seen the FPA report to confirm that this plugin is used on the website. We both think that the Extravote extension was installed.

Extravote is not too bad; I use it on a couple of websites and it does a reasonable job (but it needs a little tweaking). Remember that the average person rarely votes anyway. The extension is a little old and doesn't use the Joomla update mechanism. Even so, it's pointless (in my opinion) to be using both the Joomla voting system and something else in addition to it.

iwecom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by iwecom » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:33 am

I don't think this is a third party plugin, like extravote (?), it comes native with Joomla now.
That's why I posted the question on Joomla Forums.

I don't agree with the apparent assumption that the average person doesn't vote, unless you speak of those who are forced to sign in as a user to be able to do so. People are not going to create usernames and passwords just to vote. Now that is rare :)

This is what I like about the native Joomla content voting, no need to be a user to have your opinion count.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:49 am

Show us your Forum Post Assistant so that we can confirm what you think is true. OK?

CDXXonline
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by CDXXonline » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:00 am

Yes, post fpa.

I read someplace that J! core doesn't allow half star voting, and you have 1 vote with 4 and a half stars. Plus that looks exactly like extravote. Only dots changing positions when settings change also leads me to believe that it is extravote on top of core. You can check anyway by going to Extensions->Plugins and seeing if you have a listing for Content - ExtraVote.

iwecom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by iwecom » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:09 pm

Ooops, thank for the responses, yes the 5 stars is Extravote and I just don't remember installing it years ago but it's ok.
Yes I unpublished Joomla Voting (the 5 circles and drop-down) , and was able to move the Extravote 5 stars to just below the content through the plugin admin screen. Thanks all!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: magic vs. science / guessing vs. FPA report

Post by sozzled » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:51 pm

@iwecom: You were lucky on this time that a couple of people were able to guess the cause of the matter. Next time you may not be so fortunate.

In this case you believed that your specific problem revolved around a core component of Joomla. Our belief was that this wasn't the case; we doubted your belief (and we were proven correct). We could have saved a lot of time (and you could have saved yourself some embarrassment) if you had provided us with the Forum Post Assistant report.

You have another unanswered question on this forum. I suspect that you have further matters that you could give your attention to. As I have written on other occasions, it's entirely your choice what you want to do. Good luck. :)

iwecom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by iwecom » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:18 pm

@sozzled Yes sir, I've already downloaded the FPA this morning and was reading through the documentation, and getting ready to follow the directions, I appreciate the tool and your insistence, I will follow up properly on the other unanswered question. Regards,

iwecom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by iwecom » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:03 pm

I should note that Extravote doesn't seem to tally votes in the backend like Joomla voting does.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:10 pm

iwecom wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:03 pm
I should note that Extravote doesn't seem to tally votes in the backend like Joomla voting does.
Correct.

EquilibriumX2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by EquilibriumX2 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:32 am

sozzled wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:10 pm
iwecom wrote:
Correct.
Hello, I have a question about EXTRAVOTE, since there is no documentation available on it.

1) Joomla doesnt keep a count on the votes? So it´s for show only?
2) Shema markup, does EXTRAVOTE (refering to the point #1) marks the aggregateRating in the core Joomla?

I mean. I have EXTRAVOTE, and I have also GoogleStructure date Plugins, I created an Items in the Google Structure data plugin and selected the MatchUp to @AggregateRating to rating from integrations.. But GoogleStructure Data Tester is not getting it, is missing...

3) Customization: Is there a way to change the star colors by override the plugin settings? I dont find it in my template files..Only the Content Vote from Joomla which is not enabled.

Here is a link as an example https://www.equilibriumx.com/recetassal ... 3%A9-verde

Cheers Mate,

Eddy from Melbourne

EquilibriumX2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by EquilibriumX2 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:43 am

iwecom wrote:
That´s INCORRECT. You have to set EXTRAVOTE "not" using it´s own database. If you use the Extravote database you wont be able to tally all the results.
I had a issue with the structured data and contacted Tassos Google structure data plugin, he advice me NOT to use extravote database, so the tally will be done in Joomla core vote database.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by AMurray » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:59 am

That´s INCORRECT. You have to set EXTRAVOTE "not" using it´s own database. If you use the Extravote database you wont be able to tally all the results.
I had a issue with the structured data and contacted Tassos Google structure data plugin, he advice me NOT to use extravote database, so the tally will be done in Joomla core vote database.
For clarification to anyone reading:
The option says "Use own database TABLE" not "Use own database". Two separate things. ** Re-read what the screenshot says! ** ;).
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

EquilibriumX2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by EquilibriumX2 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:42 am

AMurray wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:59 am
For clarification to anyone reading:
The option says "Use own database TABLE" not "Use own database". Two separate things. ** Re-read what the screenshot says! ** ;).
well, you got me mate.. :D

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”