Gallery / Catalog / User Interface recommendations

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Ben Kenobi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Gallery / Catalog / User Interface recommendations

Post by Ben Kenobi » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:29 pm

I'm looking for something to get the other half off my back.

Historically I've used JW Simple Image Gallery and Frontpage Slideshow, I also have Sigplus, but the other half whines all the time about 'too hard to configure' and I end up doing stuff I'd rather not be doing.

Short of downloading every extension on the planet is their anything I could add to the site to make it behave more like her favourites (Facebook and Instagram) - I'd rather not link our site to those - her thinking is chaotic as is her categorisation / consistency (hence she struggles with Joomla) - just dumps things randomly all over the place, filenames aren't consistent, in fact not much about the way she works is consistent.

How can I get her to manage her own site - what extensions are available to make my life easier and push more management her way. We don't currently do any retail but it is always at the back of the mind, but this is a layer of complexity and consumer legislation that she just isn't ready for.

I currently use Templates-CK and DIY my own templates so template flexibility isn't an issue.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Gallery / Catalog / User Interface recommendations

Post by Webdongle » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:01 pm

Nope ... they all require putting in categories if you want organisation. Sigplus is good because you can prevent hot linking.

Try this
* Create a User Group with Registered as parent
* In Global config Permissions allow Admin login (everything else inherited).
* In the Options >>> Permissions (of your Gallery component) Allow 'Access Administration Interface ', 'Create', 'Delete, 'Edit' and 'Edit state'
* In your other 1/2's user account select that User Group

Provided she is not in any other backend admin group then she can login /administrator and only see that Gallery component. That is much easier to upload the images than from the front end because it separates viewing from editing. You can even create a menu item to link to /administrator ... call it edit pictures (or something similar).
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results": Albert Einstein

Ben Kenobi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Gallery / Catalog / User Interface recommendations

Post by Ben Kenobi » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:12 pm

Much appreciated - I'll try that, not very familiar with Sigplus yet but I'll get there - I struggle to separate 'me' aka admin from user. I still have plenty to learn here so I'll try your suggestions for sure.

I have tried and tried to get her thinking in categories and articles and explained on countless occasions but have come to the conclusion the horse is dead ....

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”