Security Extensions Evaluation

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Nasho23
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Security Extensions Evaluation

Post by Nasho23 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:28 am

Hello,
My System is Win 10 and I have Joomla 3.9.6.
Has anyone had the opportunity of Evaluating RSFirewall and SecurityCheck Pro, to determine which may be the best buy, for a Single Website.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Security Extensions Evaluation

Post by toivo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:49 am

Are you saying that your Windows 10 workstation is hosting a website, accessible from the public internet? Have you installed a bundle like XAMPP or Wampserver?
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Nasho23
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Nasho23 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:59 am

Hello, No; I am not Hosting my Site. I was just saying my OS is Win 10 Pro 64bit and my Website is Joomla 3.9.6.
I need advice on an Evaluation of RSFirewall and SecurityCheck Pro for Site Security.
Regards

gws
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by gws » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:17 pm

Also take a look at https://www.akeebabackup.com/products/admin-tools.html
I have used the pro version for years with no problems.

Nasho23
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Nasho23 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:04 am

gws- Thank You - Are you using Admin Tools Core or Pro - rather expensive Subscription for Pro - I am an Aged Pensioner.

My original question was " Has anyone evaluated RSFirewall and SecurityCheck Pro, to which I have had no direct answers.

Why isn't this level of Security built into Joomla, instead of having to use External Extensions.

Regards

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:33 am

Nasho23 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:04 am
My original question was "Has anyone evaluated RSFirewall and SecurityCheck Pro?" to which I have had no direct answers.
I've used the first-named and, as far as the second-named is concerned, I don't have an opinion.

Whenever I'm looking at extensions to install on a Joomla website (whether it's my own or someone else's), I'm guided by first-hand experience and, where I have no experience, by user testimonials (or product reviews).

Therefore, this forum may provide you with one or two user experiences (and none of these may be helpful to you) or you could look at the one hundred and seventy, or so, user reviews (presumably posted by people who have actually downloaded and used these two products) and not take the word(s) of forum users. Have you looked at the product reviews posted on the JED? And, if so, what do those product reviews tell you (or not tell you) that you expect a different outcome to what you're seeking?

Nasho23 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:04 am
Why isn't this level of Security built into Joomla, instead of having to use External Extensions.
I have a basic rule that is "Never ask a question that begins with 'why' (because you don't really get the answer you're probably looking for." But, the answer to your question about why "this level of security"—whatever that means—hasn't been included in Joomla is simply ... some people don't require "this level of security", I suppose.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
I need your help to help reduce spam at the Joomla forum. You can help with your ideas, questions and opinions at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=974006. Together we can make a difference :)

Nasho23
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Nasho23 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:12 am

sozzled - Thank you for your explanation about the Security Products I had listed. I understand what you mean by "Reading Reviews" - In the past I have had a level of suspicion about Reviews - but now I will.
In respect of Joomla Security - I would have thought that all Joomla Websites, in these time of Hacking, etc, would require the highest levels of Security built into their systems. I am certain that others, like myself, have been caught short by not having tight Security. I had an expectation that Joomle would/should have built a high level of Security into the base product, rather than rely on others to produce Security Extensions, some at quite high cost. Regards.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:33 am

As the old saying goes, "the strength of a chain is measured by its weakest link."

The weakest link in hosting a website is not "Joomla". If this were the case then 50 million websites around the world can kiss their patooties goodbye.

The weakest link in hosting a website is the platform on which the website it hosted. Goodness only knows, there are hundreds of Dodgy Brothers' webhosts around the globe.

I can only speak for myself and the 50 years in Information Technology that I've had and, if I were "caught short" (or caught off-guard) by not putting adequate security controls around the software projects that I've managed, then I would be a very sorry (and financially poor) person whose opinion was not worth a pinch of salt.

Just as it's not the job of the Joomla core development team to implement "this level of security" (again, I have no idea what this means; I'm merely reflecting what was written earlier), would you hold Microsoft accountable for not implementing a similar level of security for Windows 10? Well, the analogy is a little different (because you spent a few hundred dollars to purchase a Windows 10 software licence) but, as I'm sure we can all agree, you got what you paid for. However, in my experience, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are not terribly reliable in keeping the wolves at bay, are they?

So, the answer (although I'm unsure of the question) depends on (a) how valuable are the web assets that you're storing, (b) what insurance policy have you taken out in the event that your world goes pear-shaped, (c) what is the level of risk and (d) what price are you prepared to invest to mitigate the risk and deal with the consequences in the event of a worst-case scenario. I can't answer those questions for anyone but myself. Sorry.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
I need your help to help reduce spam at the Joomla forum. You can help with your ideas, questions and opinions at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=974006. Together we can make a difference :)

Nasho23
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Nasho23 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:25 am

sozled - I am not questioning your knowledge or your experience - I do appreciate the answers you have given and I agree entirely and certainly not qualified to question your knowledge.
I am an ols 85 year old who has worked on a Pet Project for some 10 years, with buggerall knowledge of Websites when I first started and not that much more, 10 years down the track.
This is a Voluntary Project for a very Special Group of ww2 Allied Soldiers ( Rats of Tobruk ) and I am an Aged Pensioner, so money to expend on such Extensions, is very light on.
You may well like to have a look at my Rats of Tobruk Tribute WebSite ( www.ratsoftobruktribute.com )
Best Regards.

AMurray
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by AMurray » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:38 am

I think it comes done to user experience and personal preference for those operating Joomla sites and what level of security they implement, but I concede the well-made point that there is a need to emphasise website security as a hot topic on forums like this.

Back to the question, there are many free, good security extensions (Akeeba Admin tools already mentioned). Security Check (free edition) might well suit you.

Also, consider putting in Google Recaptcha (plugin already exists in Joomla, all you need is the sit and secret keys from Google) on your contact forms, and using 2-factor authentication for registered uesers and administrators of the site.0-0000000000000

So there are some built-in solutions, which combined with some handy third-party extensions can lock down your site quite well.

Another I would recommend to protect the Administrator side is AdminExile.
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/adminexile/
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Slackervaara
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slackervaara » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:37 pm

I have used Joomla for 7 years without beeing hacked. My protection has been updates of Joomla directly, the AdminExile, security extension JHackguard and Joomlas master htaccess (poor mans security extension). The master htaccess is a bit laborious to use, because everything does not work, so I had to add it succesively and test.

https://docs.joomla.org/Htaccess_exampl ... ecurity%29

Nasho23
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Nasho23 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:54 pm

Thank you everyone for your valuable input.
Regards.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”