Notification of high CPU load Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
sergrus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Notification of high CPU load

Post by sergrus » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:01 pm

On the website there are often peak times. I would like to display a message to users in case of heavy load to visit the site at another time. Seen for a long time like on another website. Advise extension with similar functionality.
Last edited by toivo on Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x Administration

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Notification of high CPU load

Post by sozzled » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:32 pm

I do not know of any J! extension that would (a) be able to determine the CPU utilisation at any given time and (b) based on some arbitrary trigger, generate a message like "This website is currently under heavy load".

But, even if such an extension existed, it would be bad advertising for your website if visitors saw a message like that.

In my opinion, I think the best approach would be to address the cause(s) of the website's under-performance. If you want to keep your website visitors engaged, fix the performance problems; don't tell your visitors that your website has problems. If the main business of your website is to tell your visitors about your problems then you will soon lose your business. Of course, that's just my opinion.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:09 pm

I'd agree with @sozzled, your site needs to be as optimised as much as possible to account for all conditions.

I'd suggest tools such as PageSpeed Insights to help ascertain what is slowing the site - it will list suggested improvements.

What sort of activity on your site creates the heavier usage, to slow it down that much it would warrant a "sorry, the site is experiencing heavy loads, please return later" message?.

What sort of hosting are you using - Shared or VPS?

If the server is under unavoidable load (outside web site owner control), it will usually give the user a 504 timeout or some similar error - those sort of 50x errors can usually be customised within the hosting administration interface such as cPanel.

Can you post the FPA report, as they may tell us what could be causing problems.
viewtopic.php?f=806&t=969442

It will give us basic specs of your hosting so we can advise if any tweaks can be made that may boost performance.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

sergrus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sergrus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:22 pm

I saw such an inscription about the load on aliexpress. On the website of the children's competition, can simultaneously connect 10 school can 100. It is impossible to control this amount from our side. Probably will have to migrate to the cloud.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:02 am

Found this: https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... e-checker/ maybe it's in the ball-park of what you need. It's a bit old (2017 per the listing on JED).

A second one https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... onitoring/ but I think this ties-in with a third party service.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Slackervaara
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Slackervaara » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:43 pm

When I changed to PHP 7.3 I forgot to enable opcache in PHP-settings and the site was slow - sometimes 5-10 seconds to load Home. However after enabling opcache the site was fast under a second, but I have not enabled all settings for opcache. Has anyone experience of settings for opcache and performance?

sergrus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sergrus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:11 am

Thanks

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”