content.xml file NOT found → Search module NOT work? Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

content.xml file NOT found → Search module NOT work?

Post by Abe07 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:50 pm

Hello.

I have Joomla V. 3.6.5 installed on my site (http://webcreationtips.com).
The Search module, which exists on every page, does NOT work (Attach-1 & Attach-2).
I have double checked parameters on ‘Global Configuration/Search/Components’.
It seems to be correct for me (Attach-3). Then I checked the related plugins (Attach-4).
I even disabled some of them, like Smart Search, etc. (sort of trial and error), hoping to see a positive result. But it didn’t work either.

However, when I opened the Enabled Search-Content, I found the following error message:
500 The file content.xml could not be found.” (Attach-5).
If it’s the real cause of the problem; then the question is:
a) HOW to create such a file?
b) Under which category/setting does it have to be added?

P.S:
According to a recommendation in one of earlier posts:
I temporary changed the values of ‘version’ in "Templates/xml/Specific.xml" and "Templates/templateDetails.xml" files to my actual version of Joomla.
But it didn’t help.

Based upon Google Search results, this SEARCH issue has been discussed on this forum for a long time, at least since 2009. I hope to find a concrete solution to the problem this time around. Thank you.

Regards
Abe Ekbatani
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by imanickam on Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum Performance - Joomla! 3.x to the forum Extensions for Joomla! 3.x

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: content.xml file NOT found → Search module NOT work?

Post by imanickam » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:26 am

Yes, there is a file named content.xml exists in the directory /plugins/search/content. If this file is indeed missing, you could copy that file from the Stable version of Joomla! 3.6.5. After copying the file, check whether the search works.

Was the search working earlier? If the answer is Yes, any idea why the file was lost?

Be informed that you are running a old version of Joomla that is vulnerable. Plan to upgrade your site to the latest version v3.9.10. Test the upgrade in a test environment before upgrading the production environment.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Abe07 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:07 pm

Thank you for your reply.
I really don't know how to copy content.xml from Joomla! 3.6.5.
Please give more detailed info.
Unfortunately, I can't upgrade to the latest version.
The template (and related extensions) upon which I have build my site simply does NOT work with latest versions.
I had already upgraded it from the original template's version.
But V. 3.6.5 is the max limit for me.
When I once upgraded it to a higher version, my site crashed down and I had to roll it back.
Regards.
/Abe

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:44 am

Try the following:

- Download the stable full version of Joomla! 3.6.5 from https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla3/3-6-5 to your local machine
- Unzip the package to a new directory/place
- Open the new directory
- Navigate to the directory /plugins/search/content
- Locate the file content.xml
- Copy this file to the appropriate directory in your site. You could do this using the cPanel's File Manager. An alternate approach would be to use FTP.

Note:
Make a complete backup of your site (both files and database content) before attempting this.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Translations Coordination Team | Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team

Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Abe07 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:08 pm

For those of you who visit my site (http://webcreationtips.com ) and don’t see a Search module anymore:

Since I haven't received any solution yet, and it doesn't look like that’s happening anytime soon, I have temporarily disabled it.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:22 pm

What happened when you followed the instructions provided by @imanickam?

BTW, as you may know, version 3.6.5 of Joomla is old and a number of security releases have been published after that. Crashes are usually caused by obsolete extensions that are incompatible with later versions of PHP. You could restore a backup of your site to localhost, do a trial update, post the errors with the FPA results into a new topic and get advice how to go about identifying the root cause of the crashes and resolving the issue.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Abe07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

SOLVED: content.xml NOT found → Search module NOT work?

Post by Abe07 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:30 pm

Thank you very much imanickam for your useful instructions, and thanks to you, toivo, for reminding me. The problem is now SOLVED.

To be honest, I really don’t know why I didn’t follow the instructions before. I was presumably too concerned about facing the worst scenario that previously had crashed my site. However. I performed the process and the result was successful. I just had to modify the last step a little bit:

‘Extensions/Install/Upload’ refused uploading the content.xml from my local machine. So, I tried ‘… /Install/Install from Folder’ instead; by first uploading the file via FTP. It wasn’t accepted either; it was asking for content.php. Also, I uploaded this file via FTP, and it went well.

Thank you again.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”