replacement for ‘Freestyle FAQ’ extension??

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Thomsterdam
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

replacement for ‘Freestyle FAQ’ extension??

Post by Thomsterdam » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:17 pm

Hi there,
We have been using the Freestyle FAQ for years, but we haven't seen any development over the past few years. I cannot find any updates and it is not listed in the Joomla Extension Directory anymore. So I don't suppose we can expect any support from the original developers.

The problem of course is: we have been using it till now (Joomla 3.9.14 PHP 7.1) and have been warned on their Facebook page not to upgrade our site beyond PHP 7.1. So we need a replacement, as we are running this extension with hundreds of FAQ Questions.

Does anyone have a recommendation for another FAQ extension? And most important of all: Is there an easy way to convert the FAQs (from Freestyle FAQ) to a new FAQ extension?? If we had a few dozens of questions we could convert them manually, but with hundreds (over 1100) FAQs this is not an option.

Anyone?

Thom
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: replacement for ‘Freestyle FAQ’ extension??

Post by waarnemer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:17 pm

If it is just like "articles" with some easy search, why not just use the core com_content articles.

Write question in title and/or introtext (before the readmore) answer below the readmore.
Use of TAGS, and advances search for searchability and and multicategorisation maybe?

Thomsterdam
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Thomsterdam » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:33 pm

Perhaps you have misunderstood: I'm looking for an easy way to convert 1100+ FAQs to a new FAQ extension.

Cheers,

Thom

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:23 pm

If you do not use a FAQ extension, you can convert from any extension into com_content...

check https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... ort/j2xml/

It explains how to export from 1 joomla to the other... but you can make a sample export of "articles" to see the markup.

With that you can then reformat the old exported FAQ table into a com_content import format...

If you really want to use a FAQ extension check https://extensions.joomla.org/instant-s ... =FAQ&q=FAQ

you can still use j2xml to make the export->reformat->import

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:23 pm

I agree with @waarnemer. If the Freestyle FAQ extension is dead then it's dead but, as long as the content can be converted into another format, then it may be possible to export the data that you have, "massage" the data, and use another component to display that information to the people who visit your website.

I use standard J! articles to compose FAQs in my work; I don't spend a lot of time looking for something else because, in my opinion, there is not much else that's better. It's quite straightforward: create a category labelled "faqs" (or similar), create a menu item to list the articles in that category (or, if the category has sub-categories, list the articles in the parent category and all its sub-categories) and you're all done. Further—and this is probably the best part—all the content can be searched. It takes all the hard work out of writing FAQs.

However, if you really must have a separate component to manage FAQs and you're prepare to invest your time and money in researching whatever may be available for that purpose, I don't know what else is available if there's nothing listed on the JED. Good luck. 8)

Note: Just because all the FAQ extensions [currently] located in the JED are ones you have to purchase, this doesn't mean that none of them may be suitable. If you want something "free" then use J! articles. I believe this is the real answer to this question.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

Ch3vr0n
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Ch3vr0n » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:51 pm

I was using that too, i swapped to minitek FAQ Book Pro. (has a free version). There's a small learning curve but does an excellent job, but i doubt it'll be easy/possible to convert them. Perhaps someone in the development section would be willing to do a custom job for you (as in perhaps write a migration plugin or something or an SQL query that does the job)

Thomsterdam
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Thomsterdam » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:33 pm

Hi @Waarnemer,

Your J2XML idea sounds interesting. Now I haven't tried it yet, but have watched a number of videos about it on [youtube]. What I see happening is articles being exported from one site in XML and then imported from the XML into another site. J2XML is a plugin that is added to the article manager and it looks like it works wonderful.

Now, I don't know if you are familiar with this Freestyle FAQ extension, but will J2XML be available for the FAQ extension as well? The FAQs and FAQ sets are not displayed in the same way as articles in the article manager. So how will I be able to export them? And when I then import them into the same site, how do I make sure they are exported as articles?

If any one else is familiar (first hand) with converting these FAQs to articles, please, share your experience.

Thanx,

Thom

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:47 pm

What I did in the past when I could not use J2XML for export I exported the table directly from the database into a csv (PHPMyAdmin)... using excel (or in my case LibreOffice/OpenOffice Calc, open source junky as I am) I then transformed it into the correct format...

Of course one could import it by using PHPMyadmin import, but J2XML is better than I am in being "joomla consistent".

To be sure of the right columns I always made an export of existing articles... this "template" I then used for the export from the other app...

Since I am not familiar with Freestyle FAQ I don't know how things are exactly stored in the DB... but I see 3 tables when I download and scavange code for a few secs...

the fsf_faq_faq (what's in a name..) and the _fsf_faq_cat which may resemble the articles and categories in com_content...

then there is the fsf_glossary.. don't know what it does.....

malacandra
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by malacandra » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:37 am

There's an export function in the Admin section of the backend.
You may get an error as the mysql_* functions need changing to mysqli_* functions in [YOUR_SITE]/administrator/components/com_fsf/updatedb.php there are 4 starting at line 1532 in my version 1.12

$res2 = mysqli_query("DESCRIBE $table");
while ($row2 = mysqli_fetch_assoc($res2))
{
$tables[$tablex]['fields'][$field++] = $row2;
}

$res2 = mysqli_query("SHOW INDEX FROM $table");
$index = 0;
while ($row2 = mysqli_fetch_assoc($res2))

You could then format these with a reasonable text editor vscode search and replace even.
Hope this helps.

Thomsterdam
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Thomsterdam » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks a lot @malacandra. I'll have a look at it.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”