add standard text to articles J3.9.15

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
doodlebug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

add standard text to articles J3.9.15

Post by doodlebug » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:42 pm

Hi,

I am trying to figure out a way of adding some standard default text to each article as it is written/edited. I have tried the template override method, but the instructions for it appear outdated as the files are different.

The text I want to add is at the beginning of each article and will need to be visible in all views (i.e. blog view, article view etc..).
I have tried using a plugin called BSC Article Footer. This 'sort-of' works, I can get the text added at the top of the article, but as it adds the text 'on-the-fly' its not part of the article text, so in blog view, the images are not present.

The text I am trying to add is a simple {loadposition x}, which is a module showing a random picture from a folder. I know I could have people add the images/text in manually, but the people using the site will not be tech savvy, so I was trying to find an automatic solution.

I was thinking of possibly adding the text in the beforesave event? I don't know if this is an option... I wouldn't know where to look for this either.

Anyone have any ideas of a solution??

Thanks in advance.

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: add standard text to articles J3.9.15

Post by sozzled » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:48 pm

There are plugins in the JED that do this. I wrote a plugin but the forum rules—self-promotion—prevent me mentioning its name but, yes, there are ways that you can add some boilerplate text to the beginning (or end) of all articles within a category (or categories).

It's probably a good idea to add standard content, to all articles, "on-the-fly" because that means you only have to change the added content in one place instead of separately in each article. It's your choice, of course.
Last edited by sozzled on Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

doodlebug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by doodlebug » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:49 pm

I have looked but I cant find anything, I may be searching for the wrong thing mind.... I will PM you if that's ok?

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:50 pm

doodlebug wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:49 pm
I have looked but I cant find anything, I may be searching for the wrong thing mind.... I will PM you if that's ok?
Yes, it's OK for you to PM me (or send me an email).
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

doodlebug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by doodlebug » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:59 pm

I cant PM you as I "haven't been active enough" doh!! and I can't find your email anywhere.. May be im not looking hard enough!!

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:02 pm

There is a restriction in the forum to prevent newbies from abusing the PM facility. I don't remember how many posts a forum user needs before the PM facility is unlocked. I thought it was possible to send emails (but, maybe, that's also constrained by the same limitation). If it's OK with you, I'll try to send you a PM.

EDIT: Have a look at your PMs (under the User Control Panel)
Last edited by sozzled on Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doodlebug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by doodlebug » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:04 pm

sozzled wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:48 pm

It's probably a good idea to add standard content, to all articles, "on-the-fly" because that means you only have to change the added content in one place instead of separately in each article. It's your choice, of course.
I have it adding on the fly currently, but the on the fly bit doesn't work with blog view.

The site is still in development, and ther domain bear no resemblance to what the site is, but its rwelectrics.co.uk (its a temp domain for a darts league). The articles on the home page just show text, but when an article is clicked, a random image is shown correctly. I can't figure out how to get the images in blog view (or if its even possible).

Absolutely fine to email me... i'm grateful for any assistance :)

doodlebug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by doodlebug » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:19 pm

Aha.... many thanks. Your suggestion could be the answer. Before I proceed though, will this plugin allow the images to show in blog view like on my site?

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:21 pm

I do not answer questions about products that I have created on this forum. If I were to do that I would be in violation of the forum rules that prohibit self-promotion.

doodlebug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by doodlebug » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:30 pm

sozzled wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:21 pm
I do not answer questions about products that I have created on this forum. If I were to do that I would be in violation of the forum rules that prohibit self-promotion.
Ok, can appreciate that, apologies.

doodlebug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by doodlebug » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi, Can I ask you to PM your email address please??

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sozzled » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:08 pm

Replied via PM.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”