Installing a module, can I place files somewhere else than under the module directory ?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
smalldragoon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Installing a module, can I place files somewhere else than under the module directory ?

Post by smalldragoon » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:37 pm

Hi,
Everything is in the title :
I tried to change path of files in the xml but nothing reallt happens.
any suggestion or hints ? is this possible ?
Thx !

sozzled
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Installing a module, can I place files somewhere else than under the module directory ?

Post by sozzled » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:58 pm

smalldragoon wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:37 pm
Generally-speaking, the answer is no (and why would you want to?). The Extension Manager expects that module code will be uploaded to the /modules folder (just like plugins are placed in the /plugins folder and templates in the /templates folder), and thats where J! looks when people want to update (or uninistall) these things. J! is designed that way and it it's just easier that not to fiddle with it. 8)

Certainly, the XML manifest can upload/store some files elsewhere, but it can get a bit messy if you don't know exactly where everything is (certainly, when you're developing an extension that other people may want to use).
https://www.kuneze.com/blog
“If you think I’m wrong then say, ‘I think you’re wrong.’ If you say ‘You’re wrong!’, how do you know?” :)

smalldragoon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installing a module, can I place files somewhere else than under the module directory ?

Post by smalldragoon » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:02 pm

Hi,
In fact, I need to put a php file into another extension ( Fabrik ) , as template to be used to call the module.
I will redo some test then, because my first ones where not positive...

AMurray
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AMurray » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 pm

You don't apply templates to modules.....you place modules in the module position in the template.

Even any component made with Fabrik would display in the existing template and would display the modules if assigned to the menu item linked to the component created in Fabrik.

So I"m confused at what you're trying to achieve.
Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------
A Murray
Millennium Falcon - it's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs! The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”