Secure File Download Against Email Address Submission

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
av-search
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Secure File Download Against Email Address Submission

Post by av-search » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:20 pm

Hello,

Warning: I am a Joomla! newbie :D

I am currently working on a project for a client wherein I have to set up a 'secure file download against email address submission' solution. Additionally, I would like to implement a PHP script (e.g. download.php) so that the direct link to the file is hidden from the user and that they can not simply pass the link on to someone else to also download the file.

Is there an extension or module that can help me achieve this?

Basically I need a solution which is something like for the one discussed here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/210 ... -downloads

Ideally the user should click on a button (e.g. Download file) which would then prompt them to submit their email address, and then the file downloads immediately.

I am also not a programmer, so I can't do advanced PHP coding. So any guidance on how to set the download.php file up would be of great help and even greatly appreciated!

Looking forward!!

Best,
Ashish

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Secure File Download Against Email Address Submission

Post by mandville » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:38 pm

easy - make downloads available to registered users only, then you have their email to spam -- err send more exciting info
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

av-search
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by av-search » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:08 pm

mandville wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:38 pm
easy - make downloads available to registered users only, then you have their email to spam -- err send more exciting info
That would be a wonderfully easy solution :laugh: But we wouldn't want to force register users. The objective is to only have email addresses for the purpose of contacting pertaining to the download...

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:43 pm

perhaps use a search engine to find "joomla email for download" might help
or previously mentioned on this very forum...
https://extensions.joomla.org/tags/downloads/
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/osdownloads/
or attach to a welcome email like https://extensions.joomla.org/extension ... g-starter/
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

av-search
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by av-search » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:27 pm

Hey @mandville, sorry about my disappearance. I thank you and appreciate your response. I've already tried Google search and came across some download extensions. However, none of them really fit our objective. Looks like we might have to get a custom extension developed :-/

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:52 pm

I'm in the process of finishing a simple secure file download extension for J! Of course I can't mention its name or where it can be obtained here, on this forum, because that's self-promoting. I just mention the fact that I, too, was looking for a simple mechanism to guard against people siphoning files off my site just by knowing the filename and I decided the best way to prevent that happening was to build my own extension.

There's nothing wrong with many of the downloaded extensions on the JED, however most of them have a long learning curve or don't accommodate well to other third-party e-commerce/membership subscription schemes.

Cheers. 8)

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”