Can't connect to MySQL during Install

This forum is for issues with installing Joomla! 3.x on IIS webservers.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
stigzler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Can't connect to MySQL during Install

Post by stigzler » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:20 am

Hi,

i'm trying to install a 'quickstart' joomla installation (Helix3).

Because of this, I'm having to do things manually.

I'm installing on Windows Home Server 2011 (based on Win Server 2008). Networking and the like isn't my forte so a bit of a newb, I'm afraid!

I've managed to install MySQL and get it running as a service. I did this via the standard MySQL installer. Again, I'm a bit of a newb with MySQL manual operation, so please bear with me!

So, I try the joomla installer (via "[host]/installation/index.php") and all goes well until the Database configuration screen. No matter what I do, I get the Error: "Could not connect to database. Connector returned a number. Could not connect to MySQL Server."

Now, I think I've set up a database via MySQL Workbench. I also added root and a full-privileges user to it. Yet it still won't connect. I've also added Port 3306 exceptions to the firewall.

Have been googling for 4 hours now - no answers! :(

I have attached some images which hopefully show relevant things.

Hope someone can advise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Can't connect to MySQL during Install

Post by gws » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:24 am

Dedicated IIS forum here. viewforum.php?f=717
Your data base config page uses Mysql and should ideally be Mysqli.
You could save yourself much grief by using Xamp or similar for your joomla installation on windows.

stigzler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Can't connect to MySQL during Install

Post by stigzler » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:30 am

Thanks GWS. I did try MySqli - also didn't work.

I did also try XAMPP, but ran into some conflicts. The apache server threw errors when starting up around Port 80. I did some googling into it and it talked about stopping services that are linked to IIS - thus got out of my depth very quickly - didn't want to be messing around with IIS.

I do like the look of joomla, but it's all proving to be a bit too technical for me :(

I'll post a link on the IIS forum - thanks for the link.

Return to “Joomla! 3.x on IIS webserver”