Install doesn't get past first setup screen when run on different PC

This forum is for issues with installing Joomla! 3.x on IIS webservers.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
RenniePet
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Install doesn't get past first setup screen when run on different PC

Post by RenniePet » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:23 am

This is a bit different from the post by tdemeyer (24 Feb.), in that I'm using MySQL (not MS SQL) and I'm only experiencing the problem when I try to run the installation from my home PC. When I connect to the server (an Azure VM) using RDP and run the browser (Firefox) on that machine then the installation works OK.

I have three questions:

1. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the heck is going on?

2. Are there any debugging tools I can use to learn more about why the install hangs on the first setup screen?

3. Should I be very worried that this is a symptom of something that is going to result in problems for ordinary users of my website once I get it completely configured and proudly launch it for public use?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Install doesn't get past first setup screen when run on different PC

Post by AMurray » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:14 am

Typically for your local install, check the following PHP.ini settings.

- Maxium Execution time (more than 30 (seconds) - set it to say, 300 sec. (6 minutes)
- Maximum Post/File size limits (say no less than 20MB)
- Memory Limit set to what works e.g. 128M, 256, 512 etc.

If you need further help please install and run the forum post assistant report (see the link in the pink seciton, top of this page) and post the results to a reply here (resulting report is formatted with the BBCode for this forum).

Unless you have VPS or stand-alone (live) hosting, you might notf have as much control over your server settings as you would like.

While on your own PC "localhost" you can set the server up however you like since a typical local site wouldn't actually be live on the web.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Return to “Joomla! 3.x on IIS webserver”