Not receiving any e-mails notifying updates available

This forum is for issues with installing Joomla! 3.x on IIS webservers.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
dave_3d
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Not receiving any e-mails notifying updates available

Post by dave_3d » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:35 pm

I have a couple of Joomla sites running as internal intranet pages, and running on Windows Server 2016.

In all other aspects these sites run as expected.

But I do not receive any e-mails notifying that an update is available. I have both the IIS sites configured in server settings to use SMTP for mails, and when clicking on test mails, I receive a mail from the sites.

All my other sites running on unix based hosting corrcetly send an e-mail when an update is avaialable.

Is this a specific IIS problem for the e-mailer ?

Any help welcome,

Dave

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Not receiving any e-mails notifying updates available

Post by sozzled » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:05 pm

Is the intranet website located behind a firewall? Have you enabled the Joomla Update Notification plugin?

dave_3d
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave_3d » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks for the Reply.

Yes. the Joomla Update Notification plugin is enabled.

I do receive an e-mail when I test my SMTP mail setup in the Global System section.

And I receive an e-mail notification if someone posts a new article using the front-end.

I just don't get any e-mails when an update to Joomla is available ?

I have 2 different Joomla installations running at 2 entirely separate locations and they both do not send out an e-mail when a Joomla update is available - which makes me wonder if it is related somehow to the IIS environment ?

Dave

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Is the Intranet site located behind a firewall? Are your users able to use email addresses that extend beyond the intranet's domain?

dave_3d
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dave_3d » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 pm

Yes, I used the SMTP mailer settings (In Server - mail Settings) and my intranet server does not have a mail server configured. I get notification e-mails when someone posts an article using the front-end, to my external e-mail address. Also when I click test mail, my external e-mail address gets an e-mail.

Either the update module is not getting triggered (does it need an open port to check anything), or the mailing part of the update module is implemented differently to the "test mail" and notification functions?

Dave

Return to “Joomla! 3.x on IIS webserver”