Joomla/JCE Article editor

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
erikj
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla/JCE Article editor

Post by erikj » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:34 pm

Hi,
We're currently running Joomla 3.10.11 with JCE Editor Pro 2.9.20 set as the default editor for all users. We have assigned editing permissions to specific articles for specific users based on them belonging to a custom group. When the user goes to the assigned page, they are able to select "Edit" from the dropdown button, however, it then displays the article content in the basic Joomla editor rather than JCE and it does not allow them to change any content. If I assign them to the "Editors" group, it does show JCE and it works to edit, however, then they have general edit capabilities throughout the site. That's not what we want. Do you know why this may be happening and what could be done about it?

Thanks. Erik
Last edited by imanickam on Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic » from Extensions for Joomla! 3.x to Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Joomla/JCE Article editor

Post by AMurray » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:33 pm

I think it's the way you've set up your (custom) permissions. Perhaps some screenshots of the ACL settings you have put in place would give us some clues. (I'm not an expert on ACL, but someone else may be able to spot the exact problem).

I believe for this to work correctly, your custom groups should be 'child' groups of "Editors". That way, the custom groups inherit the proper parent permissions, then you place the users in those custom groups, and logically assign the articles to those custom groups as required. (So, article 1, instead of having it as "Editors", have it as "Custom Editors 1" and article 2 as "Custom Editors 2"...and that sort of thing).

I think the default editor is TinyMCE, I wouldn't call it "basic" (JCE is a fork of TinyMCE) but perhaps you mean CodeMirror or something else.

I note your current version of JCE (2.9.20) is ten releases behind the current release (Sept 2022), current version listed on the JED is v2.9.30. Perhaps updating the extension may resolve some of the issues you have mentioned.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:22 am

Check the user groups in JCE Profile settings.
Check the default Editor in Global config
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

erikj
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by erikj » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:10 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Unfortunately, I've tested your suggestion to make the group a child of "Editors". Unfortunately, this inherits the permissions of Editors and therefore, the user gets edit permissions for the whole site. We will definitely try updating the component.

Thanks! Erik

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:24 pm

erikj wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:10 pm
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Unfortunately, I've tested your suggestion to make the group a child of "Editors". Unfortunately, this inherits the permissions of Editors and therefore, the user gets edit permissions for the whole site. ...
Please see viewtopic.php?f=706&t=996662&p=3671584#p3671561
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”