Unwanted bot verification popup

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
SheilaJohnston
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Unwanted bot verification popup

Post by SheilaJohnston » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:28 am

Hope this is the right place to post this question.

Since quite recently, a bot verification message has started to pop up when I visit my site: "To help us keep this website secure, please wait while we verify you're not a robot! It will only take a few seconds." I didn't implement this pop-up so I suppose it was done by my hosting provider. However I haven't come across it on most other sites I've visited.

I suspect it is both deterring visitors and blocking access to the ads.txt file. Would it risk a DDOS attack to ask the hosting provider to disable it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Unwanted bot verification popup

Post by AMurray » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:42 pm

You might ask your host if it's something they implemented. Can you capture a screenshot and post it to this thread?

I would do a full malware and virus scan of your PC and also would recommend you run an audit of your website with mysites.guru (an invaluable tool for website owners). Mysites.guru will give you a list of any issues it finds, with a whole heap of advice on fixing the issues or finding out more information about them.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

SheilaJohnston
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SheilaJohnston » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:26 am

Thank you for your reply. I think it must be connected with another issue - the site's https verification suddenly disappeared for reasons unknown and it was flagged up as "not secure". I contacted my host and they have supposedly re-activated it this evening,

The robot verification message has gone (for good, I hope). But there is now a new cookie consent pop-up (image attached). The square one I installed myself but the generic footer one is new and unwanted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:12 am

I didn't see anything that was shown in your screenshot. I saw a brief message about the browser checking it is secure - which I think is a feature of the browser. Google shouldn't display any site without a valid SSL certificate (Https).

For me, Google Chrome still shows the site as "not secure" i.e. invalid SSL (or at least that's the direction its heading in and same with most other modern browsers).

I saw a cookie consent message, but Ididn't see the pop-up screen demonstrated in your screenshot.

The site loads on Google Chrome, but gives a 503 error on Edge.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”