Login Issues

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
kats
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Login Issues

Post by kats » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:25 am

Am currently designing a website for Armco Kenya Ltd(www.armcokenya.com) but now a having issue login, whenever I key-in login credentials the error message pops out"Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet". I had tried several step below but problem still persist.

1. removing the entry for the cookie_domain in the config file

public $cookie_domain = 'armcokenya.com';
public $cookie_path = '';

and making it like this

public $cookie_domain = '';
public $cookie_path = '';

2. I accessed phpMyAdmin and tried to:

Accessed jos_extensions table which isn't available.

Navigated to the page of elements where the plugins are and found plg_authentication_joomla are all enabled as they are set to '1'

3. I have even try to revert to last changes made that is redirecting armcokenya.com to web.armcokenya.com from c-panel but the problem still persist.

4. I had also communicated with our web hosting but they are unable to solve the issue.

Please assist, attached is the screenshot displaying the error message.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Login Issues

Post by imanickam » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Since the message says the the username and password are not matching, probably you could try to reset the password of the user who has super user privileges. Review of the document https://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_reco ... assword%3F would be of help.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Aenigmaticus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Login Issues

Post by Aenigmaticus » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:21 pm

Cookie Domain should be '.armcokenya.com', note the starting period!. This allows subdomains such as 'www' to have rights to your Cookies.

(Don't trust me, test!) If you set Cookie Domain as '' (empty), Joomla should automatically insert your current Fully Qualified Domain Name. So if you access your site via URL http://armcokenya.com, the cookie should have Cookie Domain set as 'armcokenya.com'. http://www.armcokenya.com -> 'www.armcokenya.com', etc. (*1)

Cookie Path should be '/' if Joomla is installed at the www-html root, which your site seems to show (unless you did URL rewriting from a subdirectory...).

I would never advise leaving Cookie Domain unset as any website can set/modify your cookies. (*2)

After setting your Cookie Domain properly, I'd follow imanickam's advice.

-----
(*1): With the starting period, Cookies can be used from all subdomains. This can avoid having to re-login, among other awkwardness. Without a starting period, one can only access your Cookies on a specific Fully Qualified Domain Name.

(*2): It seems Joomla! auto-inserts your requested FQDN if your Cookie Domain is empty. Use that function with caution! Normally, use of Cookies in this way would allow internet-wide access/manipulation of your Cookies.

-----
If you use 'Secure Cookie' option, you must ensure your site has a properly configured SSL certificate!

-----
If the above doesn't work, or doesn't work well, try this:
  • Delete all of your browser cookies with respect to your website.
  • Delete all browser cache data.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”