multiple users on a single log in

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
RACmitch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

multiple users on a single log in

Post by RACmitch » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:47 pm

we would like to have multiple users log in with the same user/pass so they may all be able to see and access record files created with a cck. The CCK uses specific user id# to store that information within that single account. Is it possible to configure joomla and or it ACL to allow that? and if so how?

kjersos
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: multiple users on a single log in

Post by kjersos » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:23 am

Hi,

Just to check, you are asking to have multiple users use the same user/pass only because you want them to be able to see information stored by a CCK with that specific account. You can of course have many people using the same user/pass, but they will be treated all as one person, no way to differentiate between users. Which doesn't seem like the right way to go.

You don't state how this is exactly set up, but I would suggest you look for an alternate solution. Maybe if you could let us know exactly what you are trying to do, someone would be able to suggest an alternative.

You might want to check the CCK that you are using. It could be that storing the information is being done with a single User ID but that presenting the information doesn't have to be done that way. Those are usually two different processes.

Warmly
Nadja

RACmitch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RACmitch » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi
Yes you are correct. 1 log in with multiple users. I do know they can not be individualized. This site is an LMS. We do have a lot of individual user accounts for each student taking their own courses. This is a new "Group" course we want to offer, and the idea is they can all log in, in a brick and mortar class and build their answers into one form as a group. It is an LMS for business were a group of managers can build, let's say a Business Plan, by all contributing to a main "form" (for lack of a better term). The issue seems to be if someone logs out it logs everyone out.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:28 pm

You'll probably need a group collaboration extension for this to work properly. You will never get a multi user setup to work with one user account. I don't have any suggestions but I have seen some things that may be a option over the years.

Community Builder may even work.

RACmitch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RACmitch » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:03 pm

so inessence I need something that will over ride the Joomla ACL, Maybe A subscription component? I know of and have used CB, not a fan.

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by DaveOzric » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:10 pm

Don't think ACL is the issue. It's how the site stores user sessions. No expert on that but the single user option will be full of issues.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”